C/L Been Good To Me Lately - pics added

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TreePapa

Minister of Fire
Dec 24, 2008
Southern Calif.
So I already posted about the fruit wood I got last week. In the end, it was about 1/3 cord or a little more, but nice and dry. Some of the pieces are at FP length and others need to be cut (usually in half). Some is too small to split, some is too knotty / knarly, and some splits nice. I've made up a box of chunks for my friends smoker that I'll give him this weekend and I'll prolly give him another box full if he wants.

So I figgered that a score of good seasoned wood only comes around once in a while and I wouldn't see another one for a while. Wrong. Yesterday I responded to a C/L add giving away firewood in Woodland Hills (about 12 or 14 miles away). The gal called back and said she had "a lot" of wood in her garage and when could I pick it up. I told her 4:30 or 5:00 pm. I showed up at 4:45 and it turns out that "a lot" of wood just about filled my little Ferd Ranger (w/ toolbox). BUT ... it was already split and bucked (mostly about 20") and I thought it was about a 1.5 to 2 years old. Actually, she said it was 3 years old! Fully Seasoned! The wood looks like typical tree service firewood - mixed species, mostly hardwood - didn't see any I recognize as conifer. Split to 4 to 6 inches. I recogonize some eukie an maybe some mullberry, but the rest could be any of a hundred or more landscaping trees common (not native, but common) around here. I'd guess the wood was still partly green when she bought it and I s'pect she paid about $50 or so (didn't ask). She said they used to use the fireplace a lot at her old house, but the FP at this one was in the dining room and they never used it. I wonder if part of the reason they don't use it is that it didn't perform very well 'cuz they had green wood. Sure ain't green any more, tho'.

I'd say I got about 1/2 a rick (face cord) or about 1/6th of a cord. Of nice, very dry wood. I also got a free wood rack. One of the tubular steel ones. I would buy one, or even go out of my way to get it free, but she wanted it gone so I figgered if I was taking the wood I should take the rack off her hands too. To make the deal even better, I was able to back the Ranger right up the garage. No more than 15 ft. from the wood. The homeowner seemed surprised when I asked her for a broom, pointed out the rat poop so she could keep an eye out for critters, and swept up the mess. Seemed like the least I could do. I took some pics last night, but I don't have 'em with me now. I'll post them later. It was about 10:30 pm when I got done stacking (I had other things to do earlier in the evening and didn't start unloading till about 9:30 or so).

Nothing good on C/L this morning, but I'm keeping my eyes open.

Peace,
- Sequoia

in the 2nd picture (wood on rack) only about 2/3 of it is from this find. The rest is sticks (mostly under 2 inches) that I scrounged back in Feb. or March.

Attachments

• wood1.jpg
    wood1.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 224
  • wood2w.jpg
    wood2w.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 238
Status
Not open for further replies.