Cab-50????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gripper93

Hearth Supporter
Oct 1, 2009
central ohio
I am installing a eco-Cab-50. It is being installed in a corner. My exhaust is threw the wall. I have from the stove a 45 then a 36" straight and a 24" straight then a turn down term. cap. So I have 5' of straight pipe. The manual says not to go over 48" of horizontal pipe. I was hoping to use what I have so the exhaust is away from the house. Will I have problems going to long Horizontal? I am planing on later (next year) going out and up, just trying to get this year in.

gripper93 said:
I am installing a eco-Cab-50. It is being installed in a corner. My exhaust is threw the wall. I have from the stove a 45 then a 36" straight and a 24" straight then a turn down term. cap. So I have 5' of straight pipe. The manual says not to go over 48" of horizontal pipe. I was hoping to use what I have so the exhaust is away from the house. Will I have problems going to long Horizontal? I am planing on later (next year) going out and up, just trying to get this year in.

You need to make sure that that horizontal run has at least a 1/4" per foot rise in it, if you keep it cleaned out then you should be fine for a season. You didn't specify the diameter of the vent, so I'll assume it is 3" venting and you need to pull the cap and check for buildup every 10 bags or so just to get a good feel for when it needs to be cleaned. More than an 1/4" of buildup and it is cleaning time.

I'm not a fan of long horizontal runs as not only does it chew up EVL it doesn't contribute to a natural draft in a power fail situation.

SmokeyTheBear said:
gripper93 said:

You need to make sure that that horizontal run has at least a 1/4" per foot rise in it, if you keep it cleaned out then you should be fine for a season. You didn't specify the diameter of the vent, so I'll assume it is 3" venting and you need to pull the cap and check for buildup every 10 bags or so just to get a good feel for when it needs to be cleaned. More than an 1/4" of buildup and it is cleaning time.

I'm not a fan of long horizontal runs as not only does it chew up EVL it doesn't contribute to a natural draft in a power fail situation.

Yes it is 3"

gripper93 said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
gripper93 said:

Yes it is 3"

I might feel stupid , but what is EVL?

gripper93 said:
......I might feel stupid , but what is EVL?
As mentioned above, it means Equivalent Vent Length. Every piece of vent pipe and elbows have a rating, with 3" pipe. Add them all together, and if the EVL goes over 15, you need to switch to 4" pipe.

EVL ratings:

45 degree elbow = 2.5
90 " " = 5
1ft. vertical pipe = .5
1ft horizontal " = 1

imacman said:
gripper93 said:
......I might feel stupid , but what is EVL?
As mentioned above, it means Equivalent Vent Length. Every piece of vent pipe and elbows have a rating, with 3" pipe. Add them all together, and if the EVL goes over 15, you need to switch to 4" pipe.

EVL ratings:

45 degree elbow = 2.5
90 " " = 5
1ft. vertical pipe = .5
1ft horizontal " = 1

Two complete the list the 45 degree in a horizontal configuration is either 5 or 6 as it douples the vertical EVL value and some 45 degree units have a EVL of 3 in a vertical configuration.

A 90 degree elbow or tee in a horizontal configuration has an EVL of 10.

There is also an altitude adjustment that must be taken into consideration as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.