cab50

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is Med gate 100% open..

Now I see how yours is. My fathers glass is the same way as yours. Now how long have you been burning on medium with that burnpot being so clean and what are you burning? I saw you changed your profile picture. Is that yours?

Now I see how yours is. My fathers glass is the same way as yours. Now how long have you been burning on medium with that burnpot being so clean and what are you burning? I saw you changed your profile picture. Is that yours?

I only cleaned my glass once this year. That was just before Christmas.

The Stive was running.for over 15 min before taking the video (On Med/ it had been running.for over an hourtotal). The pellets can Never be see in the Pot, always in the very bottom and being burnt away as new ones drop. I am currently burning Presto Logs.

As for the Avatar? Thats the comment I made yesterday.

Good job on the video...

As for my burning. I only use/need Low. Low will heat my house down to 10° outside. But that was before the Fahrenheit. Now, when it gets around 25° or lower, the Quad gets shut down and the furnace gets the dirty work :)

But the Quad never had a problem. The Classic Bay has one of the best exhaust path/heat exchanger set-ups I have seen. The Hot exhaust must travel the Full length of the tubes. Awesome stove. Awesome heat. Efficiency at its best. The AE's exchanger may be a little better, but compared to the Santa Fe and Castile, the Classic Bay wins the Quad Exchanger War!

This is my 2nd full season with the Fahrenheit. Awesome furnace!! (See Signature). It has an awesome exchanger on it also (18 tubes, compared to the Quads 8 tubes. Although they are a smaller tube, and the Quads are larger.) About 50% of the air comes out of the 18 tube heat exchanger and the other 50% is blown around the firebox (taking the radiant heat away from firebox), so you get the best of both heat exchange worlds :)

Quad works great in the shoulder season weather. But when it gets cold, the ENTIRE house stays the same temperature with the furnace.

As for the Quad pot, it should be a very active flame and always emitting lots of little sparks. I would try another pellet for sure. But also look at ALL Factory seams and welds. The unit is mainly sheet steel, screwed together with high temp silicone as a seal? One little missed spot and Wa-La, an air leak? Or the ash pan gasket can be a PITA to check for tightness. Just how it sits in the stove, the dollar bill will feel tight. When in reality it isnt. Take a lighter and run it right against the crack around the ash pan, door, and factory seams.

I only cleaned my glass once this year. That was just before Christmas.

The Stive was running.for over 15 min before taking the video (On Med/ it had been running.for over an hourtotal). The pellets can Never be see in the Pot, always in the very bottom and being burnt away as new ones drop. I am currently burning Presto Logs.

As for the Avatar? Thats the comment I made yesterday.

This is my 2nd full season with the Fahrenheit. Awesome furnace!! (See Signature). It has an awesome exchanger on it also (18 tubes, compared to the Quads 8 tubes. Although they are a smaller tube, and the Quads are larger.) About 50% of the air comes out of the 18 tube heat exchanger and the other 50% is blown around the firebox (taking the radiant heat away from firebox), so you get the best of both heat exchange worlds :)

Quad works great in the shoulder season weather. But when it gets cold, the ENTIRE house stays the same temperature with the furnace.

As for the Quad pot, it should be a very active flame and always emitting lots of little sparks. I would try another pellet for sure. But also look at ALL Factory seams and welds. The unit is mainly sheet steel, screwed together with high temp silicone as a seal? One little missed spot and Wa-La, an air leak? Or the ash pan gasket can be a PITA to check for tightness. Just how it sits in the stove, the dollar bill will feel tight. When in reality it isnt. Take a lighter and run it right against the crack around the ash pan, door, and factory seams.
My apologies for the Avatar. I didn't see it on this thread. It's been a long week. My fathers window is like that after a couple of days. We both clean our stoves frequently. We don't like seeing that so we wipe it down alot. Probably just the pellet. Going to get those different ones for him to try today. Wish us luck for him.

My apologies for the Avatar. I didn't see it on this thread. It's been a long week. My fathers window is like that after a couple of days. We both clean our stoves frequently. We don't like seeing that so we wipe it down alot. Probably just the pellet. Going to get those different ones for him to try today. Wish us luck for him.

I got them to email me a copy of the newly dated manual for the cab50. The silly thing says control box #2 and right above that says the setting should be 4 blinks. Contradicts itself in half a page.

I got them to email me a copy of the newly dated manual for the cab50. The silly thing says control box #2 and right above that says the setting should be 4 blinks. Contradicts itself in half a page.
Check your part number on your control box. If its the original one then it goes with the book we got. It says in the book as an example blinks 4 times then setting is 4. Mine is the orig control board so my setting is supposed to be a part. I verified with them via email. [email protected]. Either way they made me confuse everything because they ASSUMED based on when my stove was manufactured that it had a new control board. Ugh! Glad that's over! How are you doing with your cab? Loving mine!

Check your part number on your control box. If its the original one then it goes with the book we got. It says in the book as an example blinks 4 times then setting is 4. Mine is the orig control board so my setting is supposed to be a part. I verified with them via email. [email protected]. Either way they made me confuse everything because they ASSUMED based on when my stove was manufactured that it had a new control board. Ugh! Glad that's over! How are you doing with your cab? Loving mine!

I'm on the same board as you. I wonder what the difference between ours and the new board is?

Mine is running good. I had an issue this week with the stat not cutting on telling the stove to burn but I changed the batteries and fixed that.

One thing I learned from my first year I'd pass along is that when you shut it down for the summer don't forget that moisture can get into the box thru the exhaust. I had a few superficial rust spots and this year will put these in :
http://www.amazon.com/DampRid-FG60-...TF8&colid=211R98EVN7WVX&coliid=I3IDGHR7LPEJ57

I'm on the same board as you. I wonder what the difference between ours and the new board is?

Mine is running good. I had an issue this week with the stat not cutting on telling the stove to burn but I changed the batteries and fixed that.

One thing I learned from my first year I'd pass along is that when you shut it down for the summer don't forget that moisture can get into the box thru the exhaust. I had a few superficial rust spots and this year will put these in :
http://www.amazon.com/DampRid-FG60-...TF8&colid=211R98EVN7WVX&coliid=I3IDGHR7LPEJ57
Thanks. I have those for my basement. I will definitely check it! Are you still running on high or have you tried medium?

Thanks. I have those for my basement. I will definitely check it! Are you still running on high or have you tried medium?

Medium mostly. I don't have the northeast winters most here have. Think I burned 75 bags last year and this year at 40 or so.

W
Medium mostly. I don't have the northeast winters most here have. Think I burned 75 bags last year and this year at 40 or so.
Wish I had your winters. Lol. Burned about 97 since October. But I'm not complaining!! Warmer house and less money spent!

Did you see the videos I posted? Is that how your flame looks on medium? What's your feed set at?

the MWP blend put out pretty dark fly ash.
even getting plenty of air.

been burning a 50/50 mix of the blend and the softies for several days. even at that ratio, the residue on the baffle plates is way lighter.
Is the blend you're talking about the MWP? Can you take a video of your flame? I'm going to do another one with my stove being on high and I've adjusted the feed but I think my fire may be a little lazy and want to make sure it's ok. Per the book's pictures it gets tall when it peaks and looks a little lazy. I have the dampler wide open. And the feed is adjusted low. On medium I keep it half feed and wide open.

don't have a camera for videos. honestly, your video looked good to me.

and yes, mwp. see in my signature :)

don't have a camera for videos. honestly, your video looked good to me.

and yes, mwp. see in my signature :)
I like the mwp. My issue with the black ash was soot. My t was full and now she is burning nice and clean! No more soot! Luckily it had only been a few days that I had the issue. After almost 2 ton. Book says every 3 ton do a cleaning of the venting. Mine should've been sooner. All is way and I'm better prepared now. First year is the major learning curve!!!

Happy pre winter folks! Ok. Questions. Burning Green Supreme from HD. Love them but trying to adjust the flame to 4-6 per video or 4-8 in above the firepot per manufacture specs. On med she runs great at a 1/3 open feed and damper wide open. On high the flame is just too high and thats with air open and feed as low as you can. Does anyone know if the cab50 is supposed to be open or come that way. Don't have an option to call them at this moment.

the manual (i have the PS50) says to adjust the flame on the high setting. so it should be able to be adjusted properly on the high setting.
since the combustion blower runs the same speed for medium and high settings, you will get a higher flame on high if the feed gate stays the same.

all i can think is that your pellets are short (normally a good thing) and you are getting a dense drop because short pellets fill the auger channel with less air space between them.

that's just my best guess.
definitely talk to your dealer if you can. chances are that HHT will just refer you to a dealer if you contact them directly.

also when you say "too high", is the flame actually touching the top of the firebox constantly?
if it isn't, you may be fine just using it that way when and if it gets cold enough that you need to run on high until you can try different pellets.

Last edited:
I've just run my CAB50 on high for the first time yesterday. My flame is quite high... occasionally touching the top of the firebox, and almost always too high.

I was worried about using the feed adjuster in the pellet hopper... if I lower the feed, will it lower both my medium and low burn rates? On low my stove is just going. Very short flames that just barely fill the firepot. I like to run on low, and would hate it if I was "too low for low" after adjustment!

Any advice?

I've just run my CAB50 on high for the first time yesterday. My flame is quite high... occasionally touching the top of the firebox, and almost always too high.

I was worried about using the feed adjuster in the pellet hopper... if I lower the feed, will it lower both my medium and low burn rates? On low my stove is just going. Very short flames that just barely fill the firepot. I like to run on low, and would hate it if I was "too low for low" after adjustment!

Any advice?

the lower limit is having enough pellets drop on start up so you get proof of fire.

try adjusting the flame on high as the manual states. and then see if you get reliable ignition and proof of fire on low. (or any setting really as the drop is always the
"high" setting amount) but also on low that the feed after proof of fire is adequate to maintain the fire.

it's possible to run very low and still get proof of fire. but when you get close to that lower limit you might get a misfire every so often as the auger will have some variation in the exact amount of pellets dropped.
better to have a little margin "extra" in the drop to avoid misfires.

but don't be afraid to adjust the gate. it's what it's there for. also let the stove run good and long (15 minutes at least) before evaluating any change you make.

Last edited:
Definitely smaller pellets. Which I love. I guess I'm not used to the higher flame. It is 8 inches steady and above. Not touching the top. That was with the damper under the ash drawer open wide which I like due to I have a horizontal with incline for venting. She runs good on 1/3 rd open for feed on medium. But forgot for feed setting I have to do it on high. When I did that I adjusted the feed lower to get a lower flame around 8 inch. Because it was higher. It was still high so I closed the damper an opened the feed a little because she apparently didn't drop enough with the lower feed to get to temp to drop more fuel. Any other suggestions? Lol

myself i would want the damper open all the way unless there was actually so much air that it was blowing the fire out or blowing un-burnt pellets out constantly.

imo, the exact flame height isn't as important as a vigorous flame action.
if it were me, i would just adjust as best as possible with the damper open.

the manual is written for quads as well as heatilators. and the quad has better combustion air flow. (as dexter has shown earlier in this thread) and therefore the heatilator would not adjust in exactly the same way.

Last edited:
technically not the same manual. but i have a strong feeling they cut and paste a bit of the specs/guidlines.

myself i would want the damper open all the way unless there was actually so much air that it was blowing the fire out or blowing un-burnt pellets out constantly.

imo, the exact flame height isn't as important as a vigorous flame action.
if it were me, i would just adjust as best as possible with the damper open.

the manual is written for quads as well as heatilators. and the quad has better combustion air flow. (as dexter has shown earlier in this thread) and therefore the heatilator would not adjust in exactly the same way.
Thats what I think. I love it with the damper wide open! Cleaner burn I think! How high of an active pattern do you have? And what do you run it on mostly? Med low or high. We love medium.

i like running on medium as well. but it hasn't quite gotten cold enough yet to do so overnight. so i'm running on low now.
when it gets really cold i will sometimes run on high for a certain period and set it back to medium once the stove has gotten that extra bit hot.

flame pattern is close to spec. a smidge higher on high than the manual states.
but i did have to balance the setting across the range.

i like running on medium as well. but it hasn't quite gotten cold enough yet to do so overnight. so i'm running on low now.
when it gets really cold i will sometimes run on high for a certain period and set it back to medium once the stove has gotten that extra bit hot.

flame pattern is close to spec. a smidge higher on high than the manual states.
but i did have to balance the setting across the range.
Lol. It has gotten to 23 one night already and my original settings about a 1/3 and open wide my damper worked fabulous. I think the green supreme this year are hotter than last years made in Maine I used.

When you run on low what is your flame height that you have and or like? What pellets are you using this season?

on low the flame barely peeks out of the firepot and is often below the lip.
i'm burning the mwp blend right now. i have 30+ bags left. then it's on to mwp pine softies and crabbe white spruce softies.

Status
Not open for further replies.