Calculating multiple expansion tanks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cheapsx

Apr 29, 2010
adirondacks
Can you use multiple expansion tanks in multiple locations throughout the system as long as the combination provides enough acceptance and overall volumes collectively? I am using the watts calculator that is on line, subtracting what I now have for tanks and then plan on adding a tank or tanks I need to come up with the needed totals of acceptance and overall volume. Will this work properly?

i use multiple tanks with my system,6 total. i did this for many reasons, some for ease and also if one falls you can shut off the ball valve and keep running until you get a new one. thats if you install ball valves.

cheapsx said:
Can you use multiple expansion tanks in multiple locations throughout the system as long as the combination provides enough acceptance and overall volumes collectively? I am using the watts calculator that is on line, subtracting what I now have for tanks and then plan on adding a tank or tanks I need to come up with the needed totals of acceptance and overall volume. Will this work properly?

Multiple tanks are OK but I would prefer to see a common point of connection for the sake of system balance and air purging.

Questions: I am about to pipe my 1000 gallon pressurized storage. I plan on teeing into the supply line going into the tank. 1. Does it matter that there is reversing flow? The supply will see reverse flow depending if I am charging or drawing. Since I am installing this as a second tank - what can be done for air elimination around the 1000 tank/expansion tank. Can I rely on the air eliminator at the original (small) expansion tank?

Thanks

Questions: I am about to pipe my 1000 gallon pressurized storage. I plan on teeing into the supply line going into the tank. 1. Does it matter that there is reversing flow? The supply will see reverse flow depending if I am charging or drawing. Since I am installing this as a second tank - what can be done for air elimination around the 1000 tank/expansion tank. Can I rely on the air eliminator at the original (small) expansion tank?

Make sure you have air elimination at the top highest point on your storage tank, too. You might find it to be an excellent air separator in your system.

sparke said:

Thanks

This is how I have my system plumbed, roughly. My "primary" loop goes through my tanks and my zones are fed by two manifolds I built on the lines going to and from the tanks.

As for air elimination - I struggled with this. I ended up adding a vent at a particular problem spot in my system. You can buy vents from places like pex supply without the air separator. They are super cheap and very effective. Currently I have my Taco separator with a vent installed at a high point but I also have a stand alone Taco vent near my manifolds where I tended to collect air.

Status
Not open for further replies.