Call me a pellet snob...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After going to a pellet supplier that never runs out and stocks all year round, I will never buy the junk thoes big box stores carry.. It may be a little more money but for a good quality pellet and to know they will always have stock it definitely worth it.
Excellent! I have to say I agree with you, and if I could find a good local dealer with quality pellets at reasonable prices (within about 15%), and delivery, I'd do the same. I thought I had found that a few years back with a local stove dealer, where I paid about 10% more for pellets, got great quality, and could pay a very reasonable charge for delivery with a good repair person on staff as well. Then the next season I get a form letter telling me the repair guy had quit and left the industry, they had stopped delivering at all regardless of fee, and we had to order by a certain date to guarantee supply. Price for quality pellets was $300/ton for Hamer's while box stores were $239 for Prestos. Bought two tons of Hamers and got them home in four trips, and had four tons of Prestos delivered by Lowes.

Bottom line is that being a good stove dealer must be a low mergin, tough job, and my loyalty starts to wane at more than a 15% difference in price. And having to pick up six tons in the SUV is just not practical. Personally I find supply and storage to be the worst thing about burning pellets. Maintenance is a breeze by comparison.

Reactions: bogieb
Woke up this mourning and sat down with a cup of Jo in hand snooping around on the net about buying pellets for next season and was shocked to find a pellet delivery company 25 miles from where I live. Called them up and they told me that a min order would be a ton delivered at $290.00 and there would be a price break of $ 30.00 less up to 6 tons that there trucks can handle, the brand that they handle is Energex , she also told me to wait till late spring and get on there email list and they will notify me when the price drops , I consider myself very lucky to live where getting pellets are abundant in so many areas close to home ,check out the delivery service kingdombiofuel.com any of you folks that live in Maryland state they also deliver there, not sure how far south they go into Maryland.
Excellent find. A word of caution, though, about relying too much on any one source: We preordered six tons from a pellet dealer (not the one you reference, as we are further east) for late Aug / early Sep delivery. When the delivery window passed I called and found they couldn't supply (apparently due to problem at the pellet mill). Because it was early in the season I was able to find other suppliers and bought the season's worth from a dealer and a box store. Just saying that it pays to plan but to have a bailout plan as well, including having a season's worth scheduled for delivery by late summer. Also, I think you folks have a much better supply than us. We have a lot more population, but most don't burn pellets. You win!

Oh no! Chris has gone to the snobby side!==c

Maybe you all are just upsetting your stove's digestive system shocking it with all of the different exotic foods......................

Hopefully they come out with Pellet Tums soon and it will all be good.>>

Status
Not open for further replies.