Calling all Englander 30 owners...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Creek-Chub

Nov 13, 2007
Niles, MI
Odd question for you. Anybody got a photo of the back of their stove? Mine is tucked into a fireplace, in a pretty tight spot, and I want to see how the blower hooks up and works.

Maybe I can just ask the question: I'm assuming it blows against the back of the stove in the space between the heat shield and stove, and the air then travels up the back of the stove, makes the turn at the lip made by the rear heat shield, and blows across the stove. Yeah? I'd still be grateful for a photo if anyone has access to the rear of their freestanding stove.

Thanks!

That is exactly how it works. Look at the picture in the manual where they show how to mount the blower. But remember that once it is back there in that fireplace you can't clean the blower and you have to pull the stove to replace it.

Thanks BB. My little experiment didn't work, and I'm sure not pulling that thing out until I get the blower for the unit. Good to know how it works though. Have you cleaned yours (the blower) annually, or do you find it isn't really necessary? We'll make it through this year without one, but I plan to have it in place before next winter.

I ain't pulling up that liner and moving that heavy beast until the blower quits. For sure not just to clean the blower.

BrotherBart said:
I ain't pulling up that liner and moving that heavy beast until the blower quits. For sure not just to clean the blower.
No way to reach from underneath?

With a cold stove in the summertime, I bet you could make at least a stab at cleaning the blower out if you stuffed a shop-vac nozzle between stove & shield up top somewhere and went after the blower the best you could reach with an air hose. Oughta at least get the cobwebs & dust out. Rick

BrotherBart said:

I'm wondering how long you have had your Englander-30 and how much you use the blower?

My old insert had the blower on the back and it died after 2 seasons....It began acting up after 1.....

One of the deciding factors on the insert I have now is that the blowers are mounted on the front. I clean them all the time now because I don't want to have to spend the money to replace them due to dust..

So how do yours stay clean and run if you don't have to clean them.

It is so tight back there that there ain't no way to clean it. Trust me on this. It was a calculated risk I knew I was taking when I installed it.

As to how often I use it? Only any time their is a fire in the stove. :lol:

BrotherBart said:

Still wondering how long you have had it and why yours is holding up without cleaning when mine started balking after just 1 season...

perplexed said:
BrotherBart said:

Still wondering how long you have had it and why yours is holding up without cleaning when mine started balking after just 1 season...

Got pets? Active kids? There's a lot of difference in dust from household to household.

As for the blower, sounds to me like a simple plenum that runs under the stove and allows the blower to be forward mounted would solve this problem, (if there really is one). If nothing else, it would allow one to be able to oil the fan bearings.

BeGreen said:
perplexed said:
BrotherBart said:

Got pets? Active kids? There's a lot of difference in dust from household to household.

Only 2 long haired golden retrievers and a long haired cat.....Three children who could well be classified as active since 2 are males. 8-/

nuff said, I rest my case :p

Half way through its third burning season.

I tried to take a few pics for you, but there isn't enough room behind the stove. I've got a corner install, and the camera doesn't know what to do with itself at that range taking a picture of a big black object.

Hopefully BB can get you some better photos.

-SF

Thanks, but I'm all set. The drawing of the rear of the stove in the manual was enough to suffice. Thanks though...

Status
Not open for further replies.