Calling all Pacific Energy Owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jfk4th

Minister of Fire
Feb 8, 2007
NY
Hi Guys, I am still waiting for somebody to buy my Avalon Pendleton for 950.00 dollars so I can buy the Pacific Energy Summit so in the meantime I was hoping somebody could answer my question of why is the minimum clearance for combustible only 4 inches for the Summit with a single wall connector and 11 inches on the Super 27 and the Spectrum. Shouldn't it be the other way around since the Summit is a much bigger stove? This is true with Avalon stoves, the bigger the stove, the more clearance you need. Help..... This is a pretty significant factor for me as I will have only 8 inches of clearance(double the recommended distance if this is correct I guess) on one corner for a corner installation for my future Summit (with gold trim I might add, NICE!).

It is my guess that the sumit has a convection shroud and air is channeled threw it disipating and drawing heat away from combustiables. Code wise single wall pipe is 18" clearance unless a heat shield is attached or double wall pipe is used. Or the stove has been tested and that distance for single wall has been certified an inspector has a choice he can approve the listing or require code compliance he is not bound to the listing if supported by code. He could refuse to accept any distance less than 18" for single wall pipe and still be within his code right or he could chose to acept the manufactures tested listing clearances for the connector pipe.

Double wall pipe on the Summit AND the Spectrum / Super 27 / Spectrum Classic on a corner install is 4" ( corner to wall) and 6" to a flat wall on the Summit and 5" on the Spectrum / Super 27 / Spectrum Classic .

If I was to sell a stove ( and i do X 2 ) I would buy now and sell in the fall , ya might get the stove ya want for a few less $$ on everstock or on "Yeah , come on in & lets make a deal" slow time of year sales and when everybody is looking for a stove in the fall then you gotz the steel if thay haz the $$ .

You'll get less $$ now selling and new stoves in the fall are going to be at a premium.

Just my .02¢

Can either of you guys tell me how your picture looks so good and my wonderful Avalon looks like it is 30 years old. It is only about 1 year old actually and is in excellent condition, no matter, I just sold it last night, Yah Baby.

Theirs are a bit more closer up, and could be the camera your using, to the resolution/pixel quantity & quality.
Do you think this is my best side? LOL

JFK said:
Can either of you guys tell me how your picture looks so good and my wonderful Avalon looks like it is 30 years old. It is only about 1 year old actually and is in excellent condition, no matter, I just sold it last night, Yah Baby.

Good deal , now go get the stove you want and ....................

********************FIRE IT UP!!!!********************* :cheese:

The heat shield is a flat piece of metal at the top of the inside of the firebox, it basically covers the cieling in the unit, not sure on any specs or measurements. Anyway you will love your PE summit, I have the summit insert and we love it. it heats our 2000sq.ft. split level very nicely. I recently tried BioBricks instead of cordwood, it makes the stove operate longer and hotter, not to mention less mess, easier start-ups, less smoke & creosote, ......but they do cost $ I paid 260.00for a ton (50 40lb bags)In short the BioBricks make the woodstove operate as easily as a pellet stove, ...So easy a caveman could do it! right Hogwildz

I think hes talking abut the rear or side exterior heat shield. No clue what it costs cause I have the insert. You could prolly make your own or have one made.
Roo??????? OH ROO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! to customer service desk,.

There is a shield on the back that they come with...both the Summit and Summit Classic, no need to buy separately.

Would be easier to help if you would provide more info, Are you plannning to use single or double wall stovepipe? Is this a direct replacement for the Avalon? Corner install? What will your clearances be with your current chimney location once the summit is in? etc,etc.

OK good, thanks for the Reply Gunner and everybody else, you guys ROCK!
This is a direct replacement for the Avalon Pendelton stove, 6 inch pipe, single sided. I checked the clearance on the one side if I put in the Summit and it will be 8 inches. Checking the specs it says you need 4 inches, so I guess I am good? There is an asterisk saying Pipe shield may e required, why would it say this if it comes with it on the stove? Do some people take the pipe shield off?
The other side it calls for 18 and 3/4 inches of clearance and I have plenty for the Corner Installation on that side, no worries. I guess I am worried about having 8 inches for "E" corner install and needing a pipe shield. But you are saying it comes with one that makes me feel better. Just want to make sure I have way more than enough than the minimum clearances.....

JFK said:
OK good, thanks for the Reply Gunner and everybody else, you guys ROCK!
This is a direct replacement for the Avalon Pendelton stove, 6 inch pipe, single sided. I checked the clearance on the one side if I put in the Summit and it will be 8 inches. Checking the specs it says you need 4 inches, so I guess I am good? There is an asterisk saying Pipe shield may e required, why would it say this if it comes with it on the stove? Do some people take the pipe shield off?
The other side it calls for 18 and 3/4 inches of clearance and I have plenty for the Corner Installation on that side, no worries. I guess I am worried about having 8 inches for "E" corner install and needing a pipe shield. But you are saying it comes with one that makes me feel better. Just want to make sure I have way more than enough than the minimum clearances.....

THE STOVE BODY has a heat shield on the back...heat shield for the stove pipe is different and no it does not come with pipe heatshield.

The asterix says pipe shield may be required but to "consult local codes"

With single wall it's still 4" from corner of stove to wall and 18 3/4" center of pipe to wall

Why not go with doublewall now since you are already swapping stoves?

That's a hell of a jump in size from the Pendelton to Summit, how big an area are you heating?

Tells us more about the pendelton and why the swap...It's only 1yr old right?

Are you getting the summit or summit classic?

Good luck and welcome to the club, Please forward your dues to Roospike by the end of the month :lol:

JFK I got your email and appoligise I have not yet responded I've had so many e-mails trying to slove other issues yours got lost in the jungle
Hopefully by now your questions were answered the the PE group or club good luck PE are good stoves

So you are putting in the Summit ................

#1 corner install ?
#2 Single wall pipe or double wall pipe going on the new Summit ?
#3 When the summit is installed where the pipe is at now it will end up being 8" clearence from the wall corners ?

I just want to make sure we are clear with the questions & statements to give correct answers.

He is the clip out of the Summit manual . ( i added the red circles )

JFK said:
This is a direct replacement for the Avalon Pendelton stove, 6 inch pipe, single sided. I checked the clearance on the one side if I put in the Summit and it will be 8 inches. Checking the specs it says you need 4 inches, so I guess I am good?

Attachments

• Summit.JPG
    Summit.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 396
with 8" corner clearance you will end up with you should be fine.

* On the back of the stove on a flat wall install going from double wall clearance of 6" to single wall to 9" is 3" and if your going to be at 8" on the corner install thats adding 4".

I see a window in your avatar next to your stove correct ? do you have curtains on the window ?

Thanks to all for the responses, like I said before you guys ROCK!

OK To answer some questions here I go. I am probably going to go with the Summit for the long burn times. I was hoping I could fire it up intially and then close it down and get a long burn while I am at work, I hate starting fires throught the day....
My Florida room is only 19x15 but here is the kicker, 75% of the room is windows, good windows I might add but I still lose heat (the price of having a good view for my backyard) I have a great big door that is the entrance way to the Florida Room from our Living Room and I have installed 2 door fans to blow heat out of the room and into my Living Room. I know the Summit is big a produces heat but I have researched that it produces 47,000 BTU's on an overnight burn, about the same "juice" as what my Pendleton did. I know it is rated for 3,000 square feet but I know that is for a properly insulated house and even that is pushing it when it is cold (like it gets in Buffalo)
I plan on heating it up quickly then closing it off while I am at work and I know that Extended Burn Technology is a thing of beauty. With my Florida room door open and pushing heat into our Living Room I think the temp will be toasty but not too HOT.

I have blinds just behind the one corner of where the wood stove is going.
Another question If I did not need a pipe shield when I had my Pendleton installed and it passed code in my town, I should not need one for the Summit correct

To answer another question it is a corner install, 6 inch pipe, in my Florida, straight out (above) my roof, pretty easy install......Just checked the pipe after removing my Pendleton, hardly any "blackstuff"....NICE.

Hope I answered everybody questions, thanks to all for this help

If long burns is what you want, you have made a good choice. Feed it BIG hardwood and you will come home to a warm house...also good for those who need 8hrs of beauty sleep in the dead of winter. :lol:

You guessed it Gunner, I want long burns, and turning it down will not heat the room too much, let the EBT do it's job I figured. Plus the heat can escape with the fans into my Living Room.

Do you think If I did not need a pipe shield to pass code for my Pendleton I would need it now, plus do I need double wall pipe if I have single and have had no problems and really good draft with the stove?

Have a good one to all!!!!!

Your current stove was single wall and passed inspection one would think it would be OK with the summit. Measure from the center of the singewall to the wall, what is it?

Measuring to the center of the two walls (where the two walls touch) that is 29 inches, measuring to the wall on the right side it is 19 inches, measuring on the left (where it touches the blinds) it is 20 inches.

So 29 inches from pipe straight back to wall, 19 inches to the right wall, 20 inches touching the blinds, this is a corner installation too (You probably already knew this.....)

What do you think? Am I good?

I'm not an inspector, but it sounds good to me. You are exceeding the MFG's 18" 3/4 requirements.

Your current stovepipe location may put you closer than 8" tho...center of my pipe to the wall is 21" and stove to wall is 7". So if you got 19" on one side I'd guess that would leave you about 5" not 8" (the min is 4")

JFK You sound good to go . All the #' look good ( unless Elker pulls something out of a hat )

When are you getting the beast installed ? Dealer have one in stock ? Are ya getting the steel Summit or the Summit "classic" ? What trim options ?

Thanks for the Reply Roospike,
The local store in Hamburg NY sends out orders on Tuesdays, getting them in usually Thursday that week. I am thinking Summit, with blower, ashpan, pedistal, maybe gold trim. Although yours looks pretty damn sharp, I like the color. How much more is the Summit Classic? Can you get it with a pedistal? I guess if you don't know I could go on the website or find my brochure......

Man thought I could put my Ranger Logo on as my Avatar, looks like crap, I can't seem to get anything in color or good quality with the min only being 50KB, Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am jealous of your pic of the stove, looks great... I am a pretty good with computers and I can't figure this out.....

Status
Not open for further replies.