can a wood stove door be adjusted too tight?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrism

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 8, 2009
Eastern PA
When I close the door on my isle royale it seems that the primary air does not supply enough air to keep flames going when its slid wide open. Is there a way to check if its too tight or do I want it as tight as possible? Thanks

The door should be tight. If your having a draft problem I'd check that your primary isn't clogged with ash, check chimney for creasote build-up, and make sure your using dry wood. Have you had draft problems in the past or is this new? If it's an ongoing issue, it might be your set-up isn't producing the proper draft.

Could be the draft or the wood is poor. Is this with the start up air also open?

You only need it tight enough to squat the door gasket to give you a good seal.Just get it good n snug.No need crushing it so to speak.Put your finger on the gasket and push.You know now how much pressure will seal it.Just make sure you have to apply some decent pressure to the handle to close it,no need bending things.The air intake on these new stoves does seem to starve the stove but with a good draft they'll work fine.Leaving the door open a crack works wonders.Never leave the stove at this time though.Sparks jump a looooong ways.Usually 10 min's will be long enough most times.Do NOT use the ash pan door open to start the fire.It will heat the stove up too fast and crack your stove or stove glass.It's just a thing you can do but should NOT.You want to know why not? Check the price of stove parts and the charge of uninstalling,shipping and repairs and re installation because you just voided your warranty. Wish ya the best.Stay warm.

If a door was adjusted too tight you couldn't close it. Sounds like a draft or wood problems for sure.

Warm weather possibly some draft,wet wood definate slooooow burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.