Can anyone ID this wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say Scots Pine - these are the pines common in older planted pine stands in the Northeast US, that have the bright orange bark on the upper trunk. It is not a native tree, but widely planted. Pine is great to burn in my opinion. It isn't as dense or as high in BTUs per cord as hardwoods like oak, but seems to heat up a lot faster. Seasoned pine won't leave any residue in your chimney, at least no more than any other wood.

Pagey said:
szumbrun said:
Ok, Pine. Thanks. From what I read, not such a good firewood - leaves oily residue in chimney. Is that right?. What would you do with it if you have lots of it?

Pine leaves no more residue (creosote) than another other wood - assuming it too is properly seasoned. Too much moisture/too cool flue gases cause creosote to condense, not the amount of resin in the wood. Half of my winter fuel supply is pine (on purpose), and properly seasoned it is some of the cleanest burning fuel I run through the stove. Learn to love pine. Embrace pine. For me, nothing starts easier and gets the stove up to temp quicker.

+1 on Pagey's comments about pine . . . I use some myself . . . for me the biggest two drawbacks is the sticky pine pitch when processing the wood and its shorter burn time . . . but it makes great kindling and is fantastic for burning in the shoulder season or for use in getting a fire going.

Also . . . my vote is for pine . . . and I too think it looks a lot like Scotch pine.

Status
Not open for further replies.