Can hear air from underneath my T5

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raiderfan

Feeling the Heat
Dec 1, 2008
Western MA
Ok, not sure if this is a concern or not, but just started a fire with two small splits and some kindling. Had the air full for a bit, then 1/2. When it was 1/2 I thought i could hear air, sort of like a strong draft. The flame was pretty active, as well. I turned the air all the way down, and the flame reacted appropriately by getting slow and lazy, but i could still hear air. It sounds like its coming from underneath where the OAK cut out is.

That is where the room air is drawn in from too, correct? Not sure if this is an issue. I could swear I've never heard this air noise before. I do usually have the tv going, but still... I checked the door and it seals tightly. I've never used the ash drop -- ever. Not sure what it could be or if it has something to do with the windy weather we've had here the last couple of days. I hope there is no issue. Its been used relatively lightly and have had no overfires. Just weird.

Yes, that air going into the intake. When you close the air down partially it is going at high velocity through a narrower passage way. If they tuned it the stove could whistle. I hear it whenever the house is quiet. It's the loudest sound the stove makes unless the blower is on. Also heard it on the Castine, especially on cold days when the draft was strong and the stove was hot.

PHEEEEEEEWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to hear (no pun intended)

I was just about to come back up and write that it was def coming from that round cut out. So nothing out of the ordinary, eh? Never noticed it before today. Thanks BG!

Status
Not open for further replies.