1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Can I convert a wood stove liner for use with Direct Vent Stove?

Post in 'It's a Gas!' started by npreci, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. npreci

npreci New Member

Loc:
    Connecticut
    I currently have a 1986 Vermont Casting Encore Defiant wood burning stove that has a 10” Oval Exhaust that, with the use of an adapter, has been converted to mate up to an 8” Foreverflex liner. I’ve used this for the past 3 years without issue. I am now wanting to upgrade to a Vermont Casting or even a Jotul gas stove. At first, I assumed that a Vermont Casting Natural Vent (or Jotul B-Vent) natural gas stove would be my best bet however, I was informed that at best a Natural Vent/B-Vent is only 50% efficient. I was told that I should go with a DVent stove.

(1) Is there a conversion kit that will allow me to use my preexisting wood stove 8” liner and convert it to work with a Direct-vent stove with either a 4” or 6” exhaust.

(2) How bad would it really be to use a Natural or B-Vent set up?

Thanks,
    Nick

BTW, I currently have the old Vermont Casting Wood Stove and a brand new Jotul DV400 stove.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.