Can I convert this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsFoose

Dec 24, 2016
Michigan
Hello,

We purchased our house with this existing vent free gas fireplace. We really dislike vent free, so it's never been hooked up and I refinished the builder grade mantle.

With our heat bills getting pretty high, we want to install a pellet stove to heat the central areas in our home.
Would it be safe to remove the vent free insert, keep the existing mantel, and put a pellet stove inside the mantle where the old insert is?
If this is possible, would we want an insert or to find a smaller free standing unit?

Attachments

• IMG_3156.JPG
    IMG_3156.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 104
How difficult would it be to remove the mantel and put up a stove surround that mimics the mantel? That way the mess on the wall is hidden and the look of the mantel is still somewhat intact. Then just put in any pellet stove you like and that gets good reviews.

If you compromise too much and buy a stove or insert you dont like, but fits, you wont be happy in the long run. IMO.

How difficult would it be to remove the mantel and put up a stove surround that mimics the mantel? That way the mess on the wall is hidden and the look of the mantel is still somewhat intact. Then just put in any pellet stove you like and that gets good reviews.

If you compromise too much and buy a stove or insert you dont like, but fits, you wont be happy in the long run. IMO.

I would really like to keep the existing mantel as I am really happy with how my refinishing of it turned out. We currently use it as our TV stand also as it's in the exact center of our living room. Lastly, I think it would be more of a cost issue to have to completely redo a back mantel - the tin tile isn't cheap.

My main concern is would this mantel stand up stand up to any heat put out by a pellet stove - either free standing or insert?

Most of the heat from a pellet stove is going to be blown out into the room. Shouldn't be much affecting the mantel. Now finding a pellet stove that fits is a whole nother question.

As BB stated the vast majority of the heat is expelled into the room by the room fan. Main issue will be the proper venting and finding a insert that can fit or make a hearth extension and some modification of the fireplace install a easier to maintain freestanding stove. Use of some cement board and some tiles into the old fireplace can make it look finished and very safe in regards to distances.
Welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.