Can I go 6" from stove to 8" chimney without negative draft issues?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pbk835

Dec 14, 2010
Southeastern, MA
Hi everyone, awhile back I asked for help and got plenty on diagnosing issues with my VC Defiant Non Cat...3 refractory chambers later, I've had enough and am shopping for a new stove.

Looking at the Quadra Fire Isle Royle and it recommends a 6" flue. I've spoken to a dealer twice with different answers and called Quadra Fire and asked if my 8" masonry (unlined) flue would created an issue draft wise.

Dealer said first time, "need to add 6" liner", next time, not a big deal to go 6" increase to 8" at flue.

Quadra Fire rep said they are trained to recommend 6" but shouldn't be a big deal, but I may have issues. I asked what kind of issues and never got a clear answer.

After all this, I figured I ask the experts? Any thoughts? I just don't want to spend the money on a 6" liner if it is not necessary.

My chimney is approximately 30ft, center chimney in a new (2006) cape. From the stove I'll have a 2' vertical rise to a 45 to approximately 3 ft horizontal run into vertical chimney.

Hope this isn't too confusing and I can get your thoughts.....

Thanks

It will most likely work just fine with out putting in a 6"liner i wouldn't worry about it.

You can always install the liner if you dont like the way it works.
Unlined chimneys are not the best, there is not even a clay liner?
If not I would install a liner.

I think I'd want at least a terra cotta lined chimney. Regular concrete would just be asking for a creosote buildup.

Try it out without a liner. The worst case scenario is you put a liner in later. And for a 30 ft chimney, you could probably go 5.5".

What did the dealer say about the 3 foot horizontal run? That would make me a little nervous.

went from 8-6 when I upgraded to my 30 and it works perfectly but your mileage may vary as it all depends on the individual set up. If you are going to pull the trigger on a new stove most will be 6" so you may as well try and if it doesn't draw well you would need the liner anyway.

I would at least go 6" for the stove pipe to an 8-6 reducer at the chimney and not try to reduce it right at the stove.

I have a clay lined flue I have used for years going back to my wood furnace days.

Size is rectangle 7" by 11" with a 8" clay thimble.

I found that putting the 6" Adapter right on the stove outlet and running 8" stove pipe all the way to my clay lined masonry flue worked better than trying to run 6" stove pipe to the 8" thimble.

Why I think it worked was a larger volume of air that started at the top of the stove which is the hottest part of the stove made it draw better and fed the main flue better with a larger volume of more heated wood.
2013-01-03_21-13-01_800-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.