Can I season and Burn tree lambs too small to split?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Yarmoth6

Dec 19, 2017
Asheville
This might be a dumb question but I’ve collected some Freewood and I also collected all the tree limbs already cut to a good size for my wood-stove.
Most tree limbs are under 3” round. Do I still have to split those small pieces in order to let them season and Burn next winter. Or just stack them with the rest and they will be ready as is?

Thanks!!!

Stack them with the rest. The one exception is white birch, unless the bark is split its about 50/50 if it wont rot in place.

+1 on the white birch. Others should be ok, but they will season faster if split. If it is something like oak that takes a longer time to season, I would definitely split it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't split them, just give them an extra year to season.

3A96907A-3EA7-4342-A59E-6DCAA46943FF.jpeg
C44962C8-BE49-4A9D-9F6A-F74601D48B3F.jpeg
Do those tree lambs taste any different than ground raised lambs? Just wandering.... ;)

Stack with the rest . . .

Stack 'em. Smaller limbs sometimes season as quickly as splits for me.

along the same lines, what are the biggest rounds that burn well in the newer stoves? Coming from a horrible experience so far with a Fisher smoke dragon and greenish wood but I know the older stoves liked big rounds for overnight burns. Everything I read about the new EPA certified stoves says splits no bigger than 6" so not sure what I should be splitting down. Right now I'm splitting any rounds that are over 4" or so.

along the same lines, what are the biggest rounds that burn well in the newer stoves? Coming from a horrible experience so far with a Fisher smoke dragon and greenish wood but I know the older stoves liked big rounds for overnight burns. Everything I read about the new EPA certified stoves says splits no bigger than 6" so not sure what I should be splitting down. Right now I'm splitting any rounds that are over 4" or so.
I Dont split anything under 6 inch. I like some big rounds, I just give them extra time to season.