Can paint on storage tank be toxic when it heats up to 180* or higher?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sparke

Minister of Fire
Jul 6, 2006
Maine
I am heating up my pressurized storage tank for the first time. As the tank heats up I am noticing some new aromas. Some of the smells are to be expected as the tank heats up for the first time. I have not insulated yet because I am waiting to make sure all the connections hold as the pressure increases with temps. I temporarily have some fiberglass bat's laid on top of the tank to help retain some heat (this may be contributing to some of the problem). Anyway, the new smells have me wondering if the paint can be toxic as it heats up? The tank was hand painted and I have no way of knowing how old the paint is or if it has lead in it. I have the basement open and ventilating. I am hoping if anything toxic does come off the tank it will vent outside on the initial heating of the tank. Should I be concerned long term?

mine is painted with rustoleum with a roller and its not insulated yet [after two seasons] Don't think I had any smells that I remember but paint looks like new.

Not to hijack the thread, but how about the stink from the fiberglass batts themselves? Do folks who have burried their storage tanks in fiberglass have a horrible smell (like a hot attic) when the takes are warm? Seems like it might not be too bad if it is closed up really tightly.

Application of heat accelerates almost any chemical process. That paint is just experiencing a cure that it has never seen before. I can't say for sure but my thoughts are that there is little danger from heating it up to 180 degrees. You don't think twice about the initial odor coming from your Chinese made toaster and they could have used anything to coat it. I don't think lead becomes airborne with the application of heat.

Many paints will outgas as they get hot. But the good thing is once you get to a certain temp the first time the paint should be safe to that level in the future. I expect there is some chance for a problem but more than likely you should be fine in the long run, I would definitely ventilate the first few cycles though.

Do your fiberglass batts have the paper backing? If so, some of those have a tar-like compound on the paper to serve as a vapor barrier, and I suspect that might smell when heated. Just an educated (or maybe not...) guess.

Thanks for the replies. This particular subject has never been brought up (at least that I could find).

Status
Not open for further replies.