Can refractory bricks really re-ignite a fire??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hottubbrad

Hearth Supporter
Jul 11, 2008
Ontario
I read that Greenhorizons units completely shut the draft to kill the fire and smoke......then.... on heat demand, they re-ignite.
Is this feasible....? After how many hours.....
Any experiences out there....

Thanks

My AHS E-250 will shut down and reignite even after six hours.!!!!

Yes it is true the latent energy stored in the refractory of a Greenwood / Seton will re lite a fire that looks completely out. Probably could go 4 hours or more , I light one nice size fire per night and by morning it usually out .
Anthony

Do you think it is feasible to use these units without storage....?
Or am I going to have to set up my bed beside the boiler...........

With my AHS E250 I load at night around 9 pm and check it in the morning about same time give or take. I will reload at that time with coals still present, no need to relight. Day time I don't use as much wood. Sunshine helps. This boiler has no real water storage other than whats in its water jacket to make steam. Very little ash production as well.

Just checked out the AHS website....looks very industrial (nice).....
Too bad you can't buy one though.......
I read Spring 09 delivery.....is this realistic...?

Yeah... unfortunately, but they may have openings so it wouldn't hurt to give them a call. I know they are in the process of doubling manufacturing size to keep up with demand.

My Tarm will ignite wood after a considerable time. A friend came over the other day to see my setup. I had fired the unit at 5 am and with storage it burns full blast until the wood load is gone. At 4 pm I loaded the box, hit the fan switch and it was gasifying in about 3 minutes. I was happy that my friend got to see it as he is the one that turned me onto gasification over 20 years ago. Just never had the money to buy one until a few years ago.

I operated an Eshland Wood Gun for over a decade, and can assure you, the fire will reignite. Filled it twice a day spring and fall, three times a day during mid winter. And that was burning real junk wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.