Can the Englander 28-3500 burn coal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Everyday

Nov 17, 2014
USA
Just as the title says, can an Englander 28-2500 burn coal? I have an opportunity to get one and the person is claiming it will burn coal. There is also a metal grate in the firebox above the firebrick/vent base. Is this supposed to be there? I would love to run coal since it costs almost nothing where I am but from what I have read this is a wood only stove. Anyone ever run coal in this one?

I googled "Englander 28-2500 owners manual" opened it and says only wood. Going to read further to see if there is anything about a coal conversion

I wouldn't see why not. The 28-3500 has grates and gets some air from under the fire through those grates, no? That's what coal needs to burn, air from underneath. (you'll need to give it much more air from the bottom than when burning wood, don't need any air from above) Throw some coal in with your wood, try it out, lot's of people do that, including me when it gets really cold/windy.
You'll have to burn some wood, get a pile of red hot coals, then throw some coal on, once it lights, throw some more on, once you get a good coal fire going, you can bank more coal in at once without smothering the fire.
Anthracite burns the best/cleanest, I was worried about getting clinkers stuck in my grates in my old furnace, but good anthracite coal burns down to a white powder just like wood, at least what I had did. You could go to nepacrossroads for more coal burning info, they be all about it over there!
Let us know how it works for ya
If you can get a good deal on a nice used 28-3500, jump on it!

Last edited:
I would stick with wood, my stepbrother is running that stove. It comes with the grate and throws tons of heat on wood. I would guess that any warranty would be void by burning coal and that you would need an AMAZING draft to but coal efficiently in it.

aside from voiding any warranty, coal is a much more concentrated heat source. I've had my head inside more than a few of those USSC wood/coal furnaces that had not coal burned in them. Looked like a grenade went off after just a couple of years. Most I would do is burn wood during the day and throw ONE layer of coal over the top of the coals at night. Englanders are beefier than USSC but its still not worth the risk to me.

I had a 28-3500 years ago.
Did burn a little coal in it. Worked ok.
As mentioned , they don't last long. I had mine burned out in 7-8 years. I got it scratch and dent for $400 new so I wasn't out much.

Status
Not open for further replies.