Can you carry & pull wood w 1/2 ton?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Johnny Cashonly

Sep 4, 2020
Connecticut
Does anyone carry a load of rounds in their 1/2 ton pick up bed AND pull like one of those single axle 6x10 utility trailers loaded with rounds? I’ve been whoring up a lot of free wood, but would like to cut down on the number of trips by doubling my load capacity with a trailer. Is this safe? Can a F150 handle that kind of load? Thanks!!

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
Does anyone carry a load of rounds in their 1/2 ton pick up bed AND pull like one of those single axle 6x10 utility trailers loaded with rounds? I’ve been whoring up a lot of free wood, but would like to cut down on the number of trips by doubling my load capacity with a trailer. Is this safe? Can a F150 handle that kind of load? Thanks!!
Yes you will be fine, take your time on the road! Biggest concern is the weight on the tires, don’t make them “squat” to an extreme but I’ve loaded a half ton several times no problem

I do it often truck and trailer load have had no problems
Seria 1500 with a 5 x 10 single axle trailer
Normally loaded with sugar maple and red oak

Just be cautious of the weight you can fit in a 6 x 10 trailer. I got a large tulip poplar (backed the trailer to the tree) 33" diameter by 18" long one calculator was over 500lbs per round... so my single axle can handle just over 2000lbs evenly loaded. So 4 rounds per trip, yes I could have loaded way more but the DOT around here pull everyone over so better safe then sorry. I tow mine with a 1500 chevy. More then enough power to pull but braking is another story, adds a lot of additional stopping distance. The loaded picture was mid to upper 20"s green silver maple and dead down ash
20200724_143033.jpg
20200824_171939.jpg

Last edited:
I could have loaded way more but the DOT around here pull everyone over so better safe then sorry.
Your not kidding, I know a lot of people from your area and the dot guys don't joke around in your section of PA, friend got busted for truck rust 2 years ago, he was moving his father's plow pickup to his property to take the old bed off and build a wooden deck bed, the officer wasnt having it and gave him a nice ticket.

I tow half a cord 75 miles sometimes with an explorer. Honestly pulls just fine. It's rated 5500lbs. I did put a ton and a half of stone in and had to take some out because the fenders were almost rubbing the tires but the suv pulled it.

20200301_103942.jpg

Reactions: Johnny Cashonly
Modern F150 trucks have almost the same payload and tow ratings as my 2000 F350! Really. So be careful about any old wives tales you’ve heard about what a little half ton can’t do.

Make sure your trailer is up to the task and load it fully before loading your truck. It’s better to load the trailer.

What's nice about a trailer is less lift height. If I could only master backing one up. I used to have a small 4 x 6 trailer, when backing up empty after going back and forth several times sometimes I'd just get out and lift the thing up and swing it a foot or so. I've heard longer trailers are actually less challenging to move in reverse.

Once when I was backing it up a ramp years ago at the transfer station a guy there said just use the driver's side mirror. I did that, didn't look in the overhead rear view or passenger side mirrors. I thanked him because I was successful after that.

You’ll know it’s too full when the front tires pop up off the ground. It makes steering fun
That's:oops: something I have never experienced and hope I never do

Modern F150 trucks have almost the same payload and tow ratings as my 2000 F350! Really. So be careful about any old wives tales you’ve heard about what a little half ton can’t do.

Make sure your trailer is up to the task and load it fully before loading your truck. It’s better to load the trailer.
Towing capacity yes payload capacity is nowhere near the same.

Towing capacity yes payload capacity is nowhere near the same.
You might be surprised. Do the math. It’s easily within a few fat chicks.

For instance, my stock mid trim level truck weighs 7500 lbs going down the road. Gvwr of 9900. So 2400lb payload in an F350. New trucks have these little stickers in the door jamb that tell you the allowable payload. Very high these days.

See what I mean about old wives tales?

Last edited:
You might be surprised. Do the math. It’s easily within a few fat chicks.

For instance, my stock mid trim level truck weighs 7500 lbs going down the road. Gvwr of 9900. So 2400lb payload. New trucks have these little stickers in the door jamb that tell you the allowable payload.
Ford's published numbers are as follows
Payload of 2000 f350 is 3600 to 5200
Payload of a 2020 f150 is 1150 to 2300

You will also notice that the stock tires on that f150 are not load range e tires which are required for that type of load. You would think they would have learned their lesson on that the last time they under speced tires

Last edited:
Reactions: sloeffle
Published doesn’t mean anything and your source is obviously wrong. GVWR is the limit when you’re in an accident or the cops pull you over. As you can see the 2020 F150 has the same payload (within a fat chick or two) as my 2000 f350 from my actual numbers. Do the math, it’s all there.

Have you ever even weighed a pickup?

Published doesn’t mean anything and your source is obviously wrong. GVWR is the limit when you’re in an accident or the cops pull you over. As you can see the 2020 F150 has the same payload (within a fat chick or two) as my 2000 f350 from my actual numbers. Do the math, it’s all there.

Have you ever even weighed a pickup?
I am going by the numbers published on ford's site. If they have it wrong I don't know what to tell you.

I am going by the numbers published on ford's site. If they have it wrong I don't know what to tell you.
Let me explain it to you then. Payload equals Gross Vehicle Weight Rating per the little sticker in your door jamb MINUS the Gross Vehicle Weight. Super simple math that even children can do. If you can’t understand that then I just don’t know what to tell you.

For a guy so obsessed with safety regulations I am disappointed that you don’t know this one.

Let me explain it to you then. Payload equals Gross Vehicle Weight Rating per the little sticker in your door jamb MINUS the Gross Vehicle Weight. Super simple math that even children can do. If you can’t understand that then I just don’t know what to tell you.

For a guy so obsessed with safety regulations I am disappointed that you don’t know this one.
I know exactly what payload gvwr gcwr etc mean. All I have to go by in reference to the vehicles you listed are the specs for those vehicles on ford's website. And they clearly list the payload ranges for those trucks. So I don't know what your door tag says all I know is what ford says their trucks can handle. If I were you I would be pissed that your trucks door sticker for some reason your truck is over 1000 lbs short of the listed payload capacity ford says it should have.

Then in some states like pa you have the combination of weight class registration. You could have an f450 but if you only pay for a class 2 sticker you can't go over 7000 gvwr no matter what the door tag says.

Yeah, that’s your registered weight. I chose to purchase 10k# “tags” so that I would always be legal as long as I’m under the GVWR.

Ford didn’t trick anybody. The fact is that your payload capacity is not based on a brochure, it’s per the formula. The most obvious reason that this results in low actual payload capacity is that the empty weight of the vehicle is based on options, fuel level, etc. that ford doesn’t know about in their marketing brochure or purposely lies about. You as the operator are responsible to not exceed the GVWR. That’s the whole point. Turns out that real life payload is very similar between older one ton trucks and modern half tons.

Only those people that care enough to weigh their rigs and stay legal will know the facts.

Yeah, that’s your registered weight. I chose to purchase 10k# “tags” so that I would always be legal as long as I’m under the GVWR.

Ford didn’t trick anybody. The fact is that your payload capacity is not based on a brochure, it’s per the formula. The most obvious reason that this results in low actual payload capacity is that the empty weight of the vehicle is based on options, fuel level, etc. that ford doesn’t know about in their marketing brochure or purposely lies about. You as the operator are responsible to not exceed the GVWR. That’s the whole point. Turns out that real life payload is very similar between older one ton trucks and modern half tons.

Only those people that care enough to weigh their rigs and stay legal will know the facts.
I am not talking about sales brochures. I am talking about ford's listed technical specs for payload capacity. But yes 1/2 ton trucks have increased in payload ratings considerably.

Those sales brochures or anything else not actually stickered on the truck are meaningless marketing. The cop on the side of the road will weigh each tire and compare to your registration, axle ratings, tire ratings, and gvwr. NONE of which will be sourced from some marketing pamphlet. The cop will look on the truck.

Those sales brochures or anything else not actually stickered on the truck are meaningless marketing. The cop on the side of the road will weigh each tire and compare to your registration, axle ratings, tire ratings, and gvwr. NONE of which will be sourced from some marketing pamphlet. The cop will look on the truck.
And are you going by an actual 2020 f150 door tag? Or are you going off ford's specs for that figure? If they are off by 1000 lbs on yours how much are they off on the f150?