Can you carry & pull wood w 1/2 ton?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I'll probably just go forward into my driveway with the truck, unhitch it, then manually get it into position.

Yup that's what I do, but I've only had to tow it a couple times. Even with a backup camera it's pretty near impossible to maneuver something that tiny while backing up.

Another tip I got that helped me out a lot with learning to back a trailer is just GO SLOW! don't rush it and you're way less likely to screw it up. Ever since then I've found it's a piece of cake. Now, towing a log splitter on the other hand, and attempting to back that up......no way.
Yep, I thought everyone knew to creep back correcting as you go. Cement and mortar mixers are the same way. Just ruts and bumps throws them off. Flat bed trailers I attach something like a fiberglass rod used for driveway markers or snowplows to see where the corners are since it’s too late when you see them in the mirror.

Not many farmers are good at backing a swivel steering trailer like a hay wagon. When you master how to keep a swivel type tongue straight, you’ve mastered it.

Just be cautious of the weight you can fit in a 6 x 10 trailer. I got a large tulip poplar (backed the trailer to the tree) 33" diameter by 18" long one calculator was over 500lbs per round... so my single axle can handle just over 2000lbs evenly loaded. So 4 rounds per trip, yes I could have loaded way more but the DOT around here pull everyone over so better safe then sorry. I tow mine with a 1500 chevy. More then enough power to pull but braking is another story, adds a lot of additional stopping distance. The loaded picture was mid to upper 20"s green silver maple and dead down ash View attachment 262846View attachment 262847
Thanks, looks awesome! I'm guessing a Carry On by Tractor Supply with a 1675lbs axle is probably not recommended?

Quicker to uncouple and move by hand!
If I can't see it I can't back it up

Thanks, looks awesome! I'm guessing a Carry On by Tractor Supply with a 1675lbs axle is probably not recommended?
No not a fan unless you are just hauling light fluffy stuff, I picked mine up at a local dealer Taxes, Tags, Spare Tire for 2k$ has a 3500Lb Dexter axle with Ezlube seals. Trailer is rated at GVWR 2999 ( so you don't have to put trailer brakes). I also paid a little extra to get a swing up jack and a heavy top rail. I think you could pull away with the same trailer as mine minus the extras for 1,500 or 1,600.