1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

can you convert a woodburning fireplace insert into a pellet stove insert?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by ellipup, Dec 23, 2010.

1. ellipup

ellipup Member

Loc:
    South Western Long Island, NY
    We had a Jotul Rockland C550 Woodburning fireplace insert installed last April. This is our first winter burning wood. I have an Enviro Empress Pellet stove in my upstate vacation home. The difference is unbelievable. The pellet stove is so much less work. Yes you have to keep it clean, but you can fill the hopper with pellets and forget it for almost a whole day. I was just wondering if there is such a thing as converting a woodburning insert to a pellet insert??

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Converting the jotul into a pellet insert would be a very big challenge. You could however sell it in the local paper or craigs list and then purchase a pellet insert to replace it.

Or just keep it for when you have time to tinker and power outages. Add a free standing stove somewhere in the house. Then you could enjoy both.
  3. ellipup

ellipup Member

Loc:
    South Western Long Island, NY
    Yeah, actually thats what my husband said we might eventally do. Thanks
  4. Pellet-King

Pellet-King Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Ct
    Unless your a engineer with 1000$ of dollars to design, fabricate, build, it would be far cheaper to just go on craigslist and buy a used stove , plenty under $G note, some even under $500 that work fine.