Can you install an OAK 25 ft high?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

marty103

Feb 17, 2015
Pasadena MD
Hi all, how long of a run can a OAK be ran and still be useful? I want to run it up my appx 25 foot masonry chimney but read somewhere that is to long of a run and won't draw enough air. Here is what I am working with. Buying a new harmon accentra 52i insert. 2400 sq ft, 2 story house (crappy windows so very drafty) with an existing masonry chimney on an exterior wall and ash clean out. Dealer said I don't need one but after reading many posts here I am installing one. Here are a few option I can think of will they work? What are your thoughts?
1. Buy the 35 foot kit ($121) and two hole chimney cap
2. Drill a hole out the back of the brick chimney, if I do this how far off the outside brick must it extend
3. Run it through the ash clean out. If I do this will it stop there or do I run it to the exterior door and extend the pipe out side of it. Not sure if it will work it's at ground level and may get plugged with snow
4. Run it up the chimney just beyond the shelf
Unit will be installed in about two weeks. Thank you all in advance for the help.

Sent from my iPad

Do what I did. I ran 4" liner up the 25' chimney with a sealed cap for the exhaust. My 3" OAK goes into the same masonry chimney. I drilled a bunch of holes in the clean out door, that's where the fresh air comes from! No need to go all the way to the top of the chimney.

Reactions: johninwi
I like skoal mans setup.

With the outside chimney i'd wonder about the exhaust cooling to much, the guys with wood burners dump more heat up the chimney than we do and they will insulate a liner in an exterior chimney. Without the heat you may get cresote.
My pipe goes thru my chimney but it's in the center of the house and insulated at the top, it's toasty warm inside.

If you decide to go out the top i believe you'll be ok, i have 15' of 3" with more bends than i should admit to, there is a dogleg 4" to the side, a straight, a long 90 down, another 90 at the bottom, a 45 and another dogleg. It's a mess. I also have a manometer on my stove, i've disconected the mess and the draw of the stove didn't change. I've also tested the draw by covering the intake screen far more than half and it doesn't change. I also covered the intake of the stove with the oak disconnected and it spiked the meter. I was very curious if the oak was a restriction.

Punch a hole in the wall and stick it through the sheetrock.

I know that sounds a bit coarse but thats exactly what I did with a large Blu-Mol hole saw and an extension bar in my hammerdrill. Pur a nice grille on the outside on the siding and insidee used a PVC pipe through the wall and a length of corrugated foil heat riser tubing.

Reactions: rona
Hi all, how long of a run can a OAK be ran and still be useful? I want to run it up my appx 25 foot masonry chimney but read somewhere that is to long of a run and won't draw enough air. Here is what I am working with. Buying a new harmon accentra 52i insert. 2400 sq ft, 2 story house (crappy windows so very drafty) with an existing masonry chimney on an exterior wall and ash clean out. Dealer said I don't need one but after reading many posts here I am installing one. Here are a few option I can think of will they work? What are your thoughts?
1. Buy the 35 foot kit ($121) and two hole chimney cap
2. Drill a hole out the back of the brick chimney, if I do this how far off the outside brick must it extend
3. Run it through the ash clean out. If I do this will it stop there or do I run it to the exterior door and extend the pipe out side of it. Not sure if it will work it's at ground level and may get plugged with snow
4. Run it up the chimney just beyond the shelf
Unit will be installed in about two weeks. Thank you all in advance for the help.

Sent from my iPad
This is exactly how I installed my 2nd P35i. My stove company sent a picture of the cap I used and the run length to Harman for their approval first. My run is slightly shorter at 27 feet. Stove works great with this set up!

I have a 52i. I followed the manual, i.e., ran my 4 inch up the chimney to the masonry cap. 3 inch OAK is a 8 foot length that terminates in the chimney, above the shelf (which I sealed) just like its shown in the manual. Chimney cap is raised off the masonry 1/4" which allows plenty of air to be drawn in and down to the OAK pipe. Works like a charm and doesn't draw in flyash. I did have to screen the 1/4 inch gap at the top to keep out stink bugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.