Can you insulate a baffle? Other baffle questions!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Squeaky_6

Oct 22, 2014
Minneapolis,MN
Hello Guys,
Just had a few quick questions about baffles, trying to find out more about stoves...

First, I am still redoing a country comfort cc300, it has a baffle, no cat, no firebrick or ceramic blanket on it. Can I put ceramic blanket on the baffle to help the stove or will this cause problems?

Also, what exactly does a baffle do? When do they need to be replaced? Mine is somewhat warped, but no holes or anything. Should this be a concern?

Thanks for any help!
Troy

Yes, you can put a blanket on top of the baffle as long as there is sufficient smoke flow to the flue outlet. The baffle extends the burn time of the smoke coming off of the wood. If air is injected under or just in front of the baffle it can help ignite unburnt wood gases.

Baffles increase the time the smoke is in the firebox above the fire thereby causing more of it to burn due to the heat and the flame under it. Insulating the baffle holds more heat in the firebox, which will increase combustion but with a plate steel baffle will warp the heck out of it.

If you want to replace your warped baffle any iron works can make you a new one. Take them the old one for a pattern. I used to get a new one made every five years or so for fifty bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.