Can you use a Lopi fp insert as a free-standing wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

helga

Feb 23, 2013
I currently have a Jotul Nordic QT which is too small to heat my one-room 950sq.ft. home. Saw a large Lopi insert at a yard sale and tempted to buy it. I don't have a fireplace and would like to install this in the same place w/same stovepipe - *edit* - just found out the Lopi has 8" pipe and my Jotul a 6" - do I need to replace the entire length of pipe? What are the clearance requirements for inserts? What else would be involved? I have unfinished concrete floors and a slate hearth - do I still need to put legs on it? Any advice appreciated. I need to sell the Jotul if anyone is interested (bought new, used 6 winters, located in SE Arizona). Thanks:)

Attachments

• Lopi%20Insert.jpg
    Lopi%20Insert.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 4,685
Sure you can, but it won't look good. Your insurance probably won't accept it either. If you have an 8" chimney then you will only need to change the stove pipe. If your chimney isn't 8" ID, then it will all need to be replaced with 8"ID chimney.
You won't find any clearance to combustibles published for that unit. It's meant to be surrounded with masonry so it's hard to say. I guess you would need to give it 36" like other old stoves with no listing.

Pass on this one Helga and hold out for a more recent free standing model in the 2 cu ft range.

PS: Welcome aboard!

I don't know about the old LOPI stoves but the new inserts are the same as their stoves. You just need to buy the leg kit to get it off the floor.

but the new inserts are the same as their stoves. You just need to buy the leg kit to get it off the floor.
This is not true. The inserts are only to be used as inserts. With the exception of the Olympic.
They use the same inner firebox on many of the models, but the stoves and the inserts are very different from one another.

I think that's a pre-EPA Lopi. Somebody on here has one really similar installed as a freestanding in his shop. He poured a platform for it and raised it. I don't think you would have to though with concrete floors. The ones they make now are very similar though not exact to the freestanding stoves. There's just a shroud on the back and they aren't on legs. It's the Avalons (also made by Travis, like the Lopi) that are the same insert=stove without legs.

Well shoot - here's the thread, but the pics are gone...
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/lopi-fire-dragon-installed-in-shop.37241/#post-37241

His video is still up though. I think he says in the thread that he put it on that raised platform because it was in a garage or etc, to make it safe..

That's my old Lopi insert tickbitty posted. I use it as a free standing stove in my 480 sq ft shop, it looks very much like the one helga saw at the yard sell. It has an 8" flue outlet, I run it into a 6" flue pipe with no problem with getting enough draft. The big fire box throws out a lot of heat, too much for that little shop actually, but it doesn't do it for very long. The longest burns I've ever got out of it are about 4 hours. It's almost impossible to keep the glass clean on the stove without shortening the burn times in half.
It is built very sturdy and throws out a lot of heat, but an efficient EPA stove it is not. For my shop application it works fine, I don't really need long burns in there, just a way to heat the shop while I working, and keep it from freezing hard in the winter time. However, for in home heating I'd be looking for something that would give longer (and cleaner) burn times.

Status
Not open for further replies.