Cant get the heat upstairs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
wxhitmanxw said:
I'm jealous! That's what I did when I took the insulation down , left about a foot and a half around the perimeter.

I wanted to finish off the ceiling but this is working out so why screw with it. Last time we bought oil (main heat sorce b4 we started heating with wood) was Jan.09.

I think the blower helps, the insulation is your call.

Good Luck

Zap

It's hit or miss with basement installs as far as heating the upper floor. Some times it works, other times it doesn't. Don't expect even heat throughout the whole house it won't happen. Figure anywhere from 5-10 degree difference which can be just fine for most. Is there heat coming up that vent over the stove or cool air dropping down? Sometimes placing a small duct fan inside that vent blowing the cooler air down onto the stove will help push the heat up the stairwell.

I have a lower level install as well, along with an insulated ceiling. The blower will def. help, it has for me.

Also so you know cutting that register in the floor will act as a cold air return if you leave the lower level door open. Heat like electricity finds the easiest way to travel, the amount of warm air rising up the steps will pull the cool air down the register. But.... having the register means that that cool air that falls will also pull the warm air in that direction.

You would be best served IMHO with a blower and a box fan at the bottom of the steps. The box fan pulls the cool air down the steps, the blower pushes said air past the stove to warm and the warm air moves up the stairs to replace the cool air.

Status
Not open for further replies.