Cant keep the paint on my door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shiest

Hearth Supporter
Jan 31, 2007
I have a new avalon pendleton insert with the cast black door. The paint flakes off like crazy. has anyone experienced this? I repainted it and it flaked off again! any suggestions? I cant be overfireing it, this littlle stove never gets that hot.

Just a thought - before you repainted, did you wipe it down with thinner, mineral spirits or anything? Maybe some mold release or other substance was left on at the factory before it was originally painted. (obviously any flammable substance should not be used while this is hot or indoors, etc.)

shiest said:
I have a new avalon pendleton insert with the cast black door. The paint flakes off like crazy. has anyone experienced this? I repainted it and it flaked off again! any suggestions? I cant be overfireing it, this littlle stove never gets that hot.

Sounds like the surface is contaminated. You need to clean it thoroughly before painting. Check with your dealer and see of they will replace the door, if not, ask if they will repaint. If not, post again and I will try and give you a down and dirty to redo.

Status
Not open for further replies.