Cant seem to get pipe temp over 300*F

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NHJAKE

Hearth Supporter
Nov 14, 2008
Lakes Region , NH
Hello all, I'm burning a Waterford Leprechaun 90 Enamel. Stove was installed in accordance with manafatures directions & chimney manafactures directions. Here is my lay out. the flue exit at the stove is 5" so I have a 5" to 6" adapter 3' of 6" pipe then a 90* elbow 8" of 6"pipe that adapts to insulated pipe out through the wall to my insulated T. Then 18' of 6" insulated pipe straight up. No matter what I do I can't seen to get my stove pipe over 300*F and this was only when I put the thermometer on th cooktop surface, and this is the second thermometer, which I believe to be more accurate than the first(tested in wifes oven)...... I have dry wood(3-4 yrs old) most of which I had to shorten and re split for my stove has a much smaller firebox than my Dads. I have a good draft. I've run it at pretty much all air settings and am able to have roaring fire of a nice one with secondaries burning. Can I make more heat or is it just that it's such a small fire box that's all it will do. Stove is rated to give off a max of 33,000BTU. Heat range of 9,000 - 26,700BTU per hr according to my manual. I'm open to any and all ideas.

I do not know your stove but one of the problems with small fire boxes is getting serious heat. The one thing is it looks to me that you might not have strong draft. Do you have trouble starting a cold fire, do you have any trouble with smoke when you reload? You could try extending the chimney 3'. You could just get a piece of cheap single wall to test. As I stated it could just be you are expecting to much from a small stove.

Thanks for the replies guys, yes I need to pre warm my pipe at times if it is very cold out so I do get a bunch of smoke, but never and back draft while refilling, pipe is well above the highest part of my roof.

And it is described as a "room heater" in the manual......We've only been burning this stove for 2 weeks. It already saved my behined with the Ice Storm we had here last week...no power for 4 Days! It does a fair job really for the size of it........

I was mostly concerend becasue of the thermometer reading that it's in the "creosote zone"......however with this being such a small fire box I don't believe that this will be the case.....I'n other words I don't think I'm under firing the sotve....

What is your stove top temp? 300 pipe temp is not unusual for an EPA stove. My pipe temps run 200-300 while the stove top 500-600 but I have a much larger stove too.

FWIW, I just got the probe thermometer in my dbl. wall pipe to 900F while running a quick hot fire with 2 splits on top of a good bed of coals. Stovetop got to 675F.
One of the wife's fires today smoked the glass so I figured I'd "clean" the flue.

Status
Not open for further replies.