connecting Morso 1410B to existing dual-wall chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TheTripleGem

Dec 4, 2023
New Jersey
I removed a majestic wood burning fireplace from my house, it was connected to a stainless 8" dual walled pipe. The inner pipe is 8" and the outer 10". The length is between 20' and 25'.

I'm planning on getting a Morso 1410B to put in it's place, I have all the clearances around the stove itself sqaured away, but I'm trying to figure out what I need for the flue.

I know that you're most likely not supposed to connect directly to this pipe, since it was for a fireplace application and not a wood stove. Is there any other option besides running a full chimney liner? There is an immediate 30 degree bend as it goes up, and that bend spans about 5 ft in length before going straight up.

Can I run a length of 6" pipe from the stove up until this bend?

Thanks alot.

Bonus Question: Out of curiosity, if the existing stainless pipe is rated for 1600 degrees or whatever, and it has good draft, and the pipe temperatures at the top of the stove should always be around 300-600 degrees...what is the big risk here?

I removed a majestic wood burning fireplace from my house, it was connected to a stainless 8" dual walled pipe. The inner pipe is 8" and the outer 10". The length is between 20' and 25'.

I'm planning on getting a Morso 1410B to put in it's place, I have all the clearances around the stove itself sqaured away, but I'm trying to figure out what I need for the flue.

I know that you're most likely not supposed to connect directly to this pipe, since it was for a fireplace application and not a wood stove. Is there any other option besides running a full chimney liner? There is an immediate 30 degree bend as it goes up, and that bend spans about 5 ft in length before going straight up.

Can I run a length of 6" pipe from the stove up until this bend?

Thanks alot.

Bonus Question: Out of curiosity, if the existing stainless pipe is rated for 1600 degrees or whatever, and it has good draft, and the pipe temperatures at the top of the stove should always be around 300-600 degrees...what is the big risk here?
You need a new chimney

And you have an opening of 54" wide and 64" high?

The moroso manual requirements for an alcove install
Ah, yes I believe that is in the case of an alcove with combustible walls. I went over this entire document, and it says before the alcove section.

"When the stove is positioned near non-combustible materials, a gap of 4 inches or more is recommended for cleaning purposes and to ensure that heat circulates around the stove and out into the room."

It will be surrounded by firebrick -> insulation -> thin steel on 3 sides, and above will be either slate or firebrick -> thin steel -> air.

I also planned on getting air circulation going within the enclosure.

And, I really appreciate the replies...thanks.

Last edited:
Ah, yes I believe that is in the case of an alcove with combustible walls. I went over this entire document, and it says before the alcove section.

"When the stove is positioned near non-combustible materials, a gap of 4 inches or more is recommended for cleaning purposes and to ensure that heat circulates around the stove and out into the room."

It will be surrounded by firebrick -> insulation -> thin steel on 3 sides, and above will be either slate or firebrick -> thin steel -> air.

I also planned on getting air circulation going within the enclosure.
That doesn't make it a non-combustible alcove. It may be safe but absolutely doesn't meet code requirements.

I'm having trouble finding the code related to my situation?

I looked in the latest code book and couldn't find anything specific. Am I missing something?
To be considered a non-combustible alcove it needs to be built as a code compliant woodburning fireplace. That means a foundation hearth slab 8" thick masonry walks with firebrick as the inner layer etc.