Can't sell any firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I often think of that whilst admiring my stacks, and I do believe they represent more than money. Having bought plenty of wood and seeing what volume and quality I paid for and then comparing that to all my work with the scrounged wood and processing of such, I would have to get too much per cord for me to be ok with it.

Had a work customer of mine call me the other day and said " I'm needing to buy some firewood. How much are you asking"? Because I had so much, she just assumed I was selling it..
People just don't realize how much wood it takes to always have good seasoned wood on hand.

Got Wood said:
woodsmaster said:
My wifes friend came over and wanted my wood

Hmmmm, really? How did that work out for ya?

I see I wasn't the only person who was thinking this way . . . ;)

I couldn't bring myself to sell any wood if asked . . . it has nothing to do with money . . . and everything to do with time . . . I put a lot of time into getting ahead on the wood . . . and since this is the main way I heat my home to keep myself, my wife and my cats warm . . . I would be very reluctant to part with any wood.

Geez...why don't I have any of you "I'll give some to those in need" people around me? We just bought a house (ironically to save money) and now it's starting to get cold and I have barely 3/4 of a cord for the winter in North Jersey. I've barely been making ends meet and have had some wood dropped off but not much. My mother bought my wife and I a mason truck load of unsplit pine rounds for $50. The guy calls me up to tell me that he doesn't have enough pine for a truck load...wanted to know if I minded that he add some Ash and Maple in to fill it up more....uhh...please do!

Gah....I have to get more wood so my family doesn't freeze....one day I'll finally get ahead of the winter and have wood...and I won't be able to sell it either...after going through what I'm going through this year I'd rather give any extra wood I have to someone in need too.

I'm another "I love everything about firewood" guy. I've only sold (4) 1/3 cord loads year but each person has marveled how nice my wood is compared to what they have been buying. Around here, seasoned means just cut before burning season. My wood is 2 year seasoned, hardly a comparison. Plus I always give a little more. Last 1/3 cord was about 48 cu. feet.I also enjoy selling wood for smokers, cherry and hickory. Small quantities 50# but the $ is OK.

I know my labor is worth more than $150/cord espec. hand-splitting. But to me, it is a labor of love.

Status
Not open for further replies.