Can't wait ! Annual Hyd Splitter day is tomorrow and I got piles.(of splits now)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodpileOCD

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2011
Central NC
I do almost all of my splitting by hand and enjoy it still. I usually wait until my pile of uglies and unsplitables piles up but my scrounging has gotten ahead of me this year. I have mostly oak stacked (about 4 cords of red) and it will be semi ready (2 yrs c/s/s) next season but really want to wait another year on it. I need to get this stuff split and stacked ASAP to get it started drying for next year. It is a real hodgepodge of species and I just need to ge er don... Some ash, maple, gum, oak, some pine and I think a small amt of locust.

A friend of mine bought a splitter this fall so he is going to let me use it. Going to give him a truck load of splits for the favor. It is a Harbor Freight unit that is horizontal only and has a double edge wedge on it so with two people it can go pretty quick. Got a good helper lined up we'll have at it tomorrow. I'll let you know how the splitter works out and post some pictures. I have what's in the pictures and some other stuff not shown.

I'm pumped cause I don't use a hydraulic but once or twice a year and I love ploughing through a pile of wood when I do.

Attachments

• splitting piles.jpg
    splitting piles.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 701
  • splitting piles-2.jpg
    splitting piles-2.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 699
Beat me to it AP. Beat me to it. :lol:

Have fun splitting. But be careful with that two way and two people working with it.

Dont forget that rubber donut to sit on that milk crate.

BrotherBart said:
Beat me to it AP. Beat me to it. :lol:

Have fun splitting. But be careful with that two way and two people working with it.

Thanks BB, I've worked it with him a couple times and you do have to pay attention. Thats true on any of them when you have two people. A quick hand signal like a thumbs up works well but you have to be disciplined and do it on EVERY split.

Sounds like a fun busy day :)
We'd like pictures of course ;)
Nice pictures of Green vegetation !

Have fun Rusty. It shouldn't take long to go through those logs.

OK, got it all done yesterday. Lot of work but had a good time doing it. I was hoping for some February weather but it went to 75 here yesterday. I'm guessing we got 2+ cords and maybe close to 3 but not sure til it gets stacked. The splitter we used was from Northern hydraulics and it worked like a champ. Its called a 'Powerhorse' and is horizontal only with double action blade. The blade is fairly thin and sharp and it cut through some of the toughest stuff I've ever split. https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/91577/

Never bogged and stopped and did everything we asked of it. Pretty impressive actually. I think he said he paid $900 for it but it came in boxes and had to be assembled.

Attachments

• splitter day.jpg
    splitter day.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 419
  • splitter day-2.jpg
    splitter day-2.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 415
  • splitter day-3.jpg
    splitter day-3.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 411
Nice splitter. I guess it would be a waste of that double edge ram if you didn't have a helper. Being sort of tall, I think I would have to dig out a six inch hole to stand in so I wouldn't have to bend over the beam all day. That's a minor thing, though. Glad you got it knocked out. Nice to have buddies to share equipment with and to help each other out.

I asked two neighbors if they wanted to go in with me on a splitter. They both declined. I bought it anyway and I am begging them to let me help them with their splitting but they won't let me because they didn't help pay for it. Really? I don't care!! They are my friends. I borrow their trailers, one borrows my bush hog and back blade. I borrow his box blade. But when it comes to power equipment, they are hesitant to borrow it or even let me help them. I don't get it.

That's the one I got.
It's not too low, I'm 6'4" and stand up straight.
I just welded up a ramp for other side to roll the monsters up on it, I was using my ATV ramp, but had some extra square tube laying around.
Waiting for the thunderstorms to pass and I'm going out this afternoon, will post pics of it all in action.

Kenster said:
Nice splitter. I guess it would be a waste of that double edge ram if you didn't have a helper. Being sort of tall, I think I would have to dig out a six inch hole to stand in so I wouldn't have to bend over the beam all day. That's a minor thing, though. Glad you got it knocked out. Nice to have buddies to share equipment with and to help each other out.

I asked two neighbors if they wanted to go in with me on a splitter. They both declined. I bought it anyway and I am begging them to let me help them with their splitting but they won't let me because they didn't help pay for it. Really? I don't care!! They are my friends. I borrow their trailers, one borrows my bush hog and back blade. I borrow his box blade. But when it comes to power equipment, they are hesitant to borrow it or even let me help them. I don't get it.

I'm selective about who I lend equipment to but the group of good buddies that I lend/borrow with all have an understanding that if you break something you fix it or get it fixed. I'ts an honor thing really. If it happens to crap out while you are at the controls, thats one thing and it could have been me as well as you. It was just time. If you run it without oil or do something you shouldn't be doing than you fix it.

+1 on the height. That was really my only complaint with it. If I use it again for an extended time I'll take some car ramps and run it up on them.

Kenster said:

Even though we are a whole practically the whole country apart I feel we are like neighbors if you want to ship the splitter up for me to use! LOL

BASOD said:
That's the one I got.
It's not too low, I'm 6'4" and stand up straight.
I just welded up a ramp for other side to roll the monsters up on it, I was using my ATV ramp, but had some extra square tube laying around.
Waiting for the thunderstorms to pass and I'm going out this afternoon, will post pics of it all in action.

Saw you post about the days splitting. Too bad about the tranny. How long have you had the splitter and have you had any problems with it. My buddy has only had it since Oct and I probably put more hours on it the other day than he has since he got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.