Can't wait for my next electric bill!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My 1981 GE Fridge is still running strong but sucks down electricity like no tomorrow. Been contemplating replacing it. I have held off after hearing countless stories of friends buying new fridges and having constant problems especially circuit board electric ones. I did hook it up to a killawatt and the energy usage is huge. Probably around 30% of our monthly usage.

They sure dont make stuff like they used to. The current fridge has been running for 30+ years with no issues. Imagine how many hours its probably ran. Quite remarkable.
Stick with your old one. The new ones are complete udder junk. We are on our second new one ( first on was DOA ) and this one has had three of four repairs done within one year of ownership.

I'm thrilled with our new one.

Mine came with a 3 year bumper to bumper type warranty and 10 year compressor from the manufacturer. That limits the risk somewhat. I was a bit worried about longevity too.

To be honest, the LED lights in the fridge and freezer make it worth it alone. They're awesome! Add in how door shelves are so much wider now that you could put a large milk jug on it and there really isn't a comparison. We don't put our milk on it, but the extra width really uncluttered the shelves. The new unit is a couple inches narrower than the old one. The difference in layout has made the loss of volume not an issue.

My electric bill was 235 kWh this month. About 60 less than last month. But I got rid of the electric stove too. Maybe we used lights more? I'm not to worried about it. The change has made our life better.

I keep putting the insulation project off. But this year im paying the price as my 95000 BTU boiler is running 24/7 for a week now trying to maintain 70 degree in this partially insulated drafty 3000 SF 100 yr old house with single degree outside temps. This summer im pulling off the siding and putting sheet foam on the exterior and finishing the blown in if it kills me.

Stick with your old one. The new ones are complete udder junk. We are on our second new one ( first on was DOA ) and this one has had three of four repairs done within one year of ownership.
They do need more repairs but they also use way less juice. I just replaced a defrost fan(myself) on my 3 Yr old maytag. And my LG frenchdoor has had about $$1500 in warranty repairs in the 18 months i have it. I can manage about 80% of appliance repairs myself that are not under warranty.

They do need more repairs but they also use way less juice. I just replaced a defrost fan(myself) on my 3 Yr old maytag. And my LG frenchdoor has had about $$1500 in warranty repairs in the 18 months i have it. I can manage about 80% of appliance repairs myself that are not under warranty.
I agree that they use way less juice. I think mine only uses around 1Kwh every 36 hours.

Ours is a french door Kitchen Aid and it has been nothing but a headache. Luckily we bought the extended warranty for Lowes. When ours died for the second or third time, I bought a cheap Frigidaire model off of the floor at Lowes as a backup and it has ran fine without any issues. The appliance repair guy said they are all crap anymore.

I usually get all my appliances at HD as they have the cheapest and longest extended warranty. ITs all about the warranty now as the quality is NOT built in anymore.

Reactions: sloeffle
I dunno, we bought new washer, dryer, refer, and oven 5 years ago and they have been pretty much trouble-free.

About 5 years ago our LG microwave quit working, in the last month of the warranty period. A new replacement would have been about $125-150. We live in a rural area, called LG warranty number, and LG sent out a repairman to diagnose the problem, it was the controller, which he then ordered and came back two weeks later to replace the control unit. No issue since.

I was very surprised at the repair, as the cost to LG surely must have been greater than a replacement microwave. BTW, we never have bought an extended warranty on anything.

french door Kitchen Aid and it has been nothing but a headache.
Consumer Reports pretty regularly rates french door refrigerators as more trouble prone....

It may crap out tomorrow but a year and a half ago I replaced the 1985 builder fridge in this joint with a bottom of the barrel GE one from HD for five hundred bucks and love the thing. Uses 120 watts max at full tilt. The old one was near 400.

Door handle was cracking just like some reviewers spoke of and GE told me it was cosmetic and to go pound sand. Sent an email to HD and a week later the Assist. Mgr. stopped by the house with a new in the package handle.

It always amazes me when companies decide to do stuff like that in the day of the internet. That message could be seen by thousands. Spread it on a few boards and something like Facebook and it could easily be millions.

Really bad decision by GE and a really good one for HD.

Reactions: sloeffle
Status
Not open for further replies.