Can't wait to get some good fuel for my stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisnow86

Minister of Fire
just placed my order at a pellet supplier and grabbing 2 tons of green gold this weekend... After going threw a ton of green not so supremes, North Americans, and minute man softies it will be nice to have a really nice pellet to burn

I know how you feel. A friend of mine had some bags of instaheat(I think thats the name) that they gave me, because they weren't using their stove. I burned some last night and today. They suck!!! It's amazing the difference in heat output from them to the Barefoots that I like.

I got about 15 bags of Easy Heats left to burn and I am done with them for ever. I have given up on a cleaning strategy. Now I just feed till it shuts down and clean and start over. The weather is so mild that I just let the heat pump kick on at 65 degrees if it goes down and clean it when I get a chance and fire back up.

Good pellets are tough to find at times.

We did our second shell run of the season today and got #2700 stuffed in the basement.

No matter what ya burn, it's always a good feeling when you get the storage full up, especially this time of year.

Keep the fires going.

Snowy

Reactions: Keifer2669
Good pellets are tough to find at times.

We did our second shell run of the season today and got #2700 stuffed in the basement.

No matter what ya burn, it's always a good feeling when you get the storage full up, especially this time of year.

Keep the fires going.

Snowy

So good to pre buy (and smart too). next year they won't be (hard to find) in the fall......

I wish that we had more latitude on when we can buy shells.

Being a food crop byproduct (waste) and dependent on a crop that matures in the late summer /early fall and then is processed through the winter up until late Feb and possibly March, we are so hampered by the weather.

Call the plant and make sure they have material in the hopper, watch the weather and try to pick a day when its going to be dry all day long to allow us to unload and store it.

We have to be sure to get a fillemup as late in the season as possible to give us a good supply to allow us to finish into the shoulder season in spring, and then again in early fall.

Can't just run down a buy a barrel or two :(

This season is going to be a long one and we will try and wait until late Feb and top off.

A fellow who advertises on Craigs list has 55 gallon food grade barrels cheap and we have been thinking about getting a few more and replacing some of our smaller cardboard drums.

SPACE is a big PITA as the drums are near impossible to stack (450# full) so they take up a fair bit of room.

We have a long narrow slot in the basement that we built years ago to stack pellet bags in and it would possibly work to store barrels if I can figure out how to get them in there.

Double stacking would be sweet.

Ahhh yesss, the joys of it all.

Snowy..

Wouldn't it be much easier and less problematic to invest in a good used gravity wagon with good rubber and sheetmetal as well as a tight fitting tarp and trundle down to the shell place and fill the gravity wagon, taking it home and parking it somewhere convenient and getting what you need, when you need it from the side chute?

Maintained wagons hold their value so it's not a loosing proposition, you could always resell it if your fuel needs change.

That seems to be the answer for your storage issues, IMO.

Maybe try and build a vacuvator system to move the shells and then you could stack and then fill barrels.

just placed my order at a pellet supplier and grabbing 2 tons of green gold this weekend... After going threw a ton of green not so supremes, North Americans, and minute man softies it will be nice to have a really nice pellet to burn

I don't claim to know your situation but it sure seems a lot more prudent to me to buy enough in the summer/fall on pre-buy to last the entire winter with some left over.

Kinda like the mouse that runs out of cheese with the cat sitting outside the mousehole.....lol

next winter i will be well stocked before September. but i didn't pull the trigger on getting the pellet stove until October.. i always replenish my stock while a still have a few weeks of fuel left, but next year will be a whole different story

I always pre-buy, been dong that for years. After the first rodeo, you know about how much you need and buy accordingly with an extra ton added in in case it's abnormally cold. Pellets keep well over the summer if kept dry. I keep my extra's in my hay barn shrink wrapped.

I only have room for a couple of tons, so depend on buying thru the season. I did pre-buy 3 tons at the only place around that will store them until you pick them up; no, they don't deliver - and yes, it is $20 more / ton than if I got it elsewhere - but then the delivery charges kill. Thank goodness I didn't pre-buy all of the 5 tons I'll need from them as those have sucked badly this year, even though the same brand was good last year.

I looked at those a couple years ago and the cost was :eek: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

At the time I was recovering from my stroke/s and had sold the big rig, so we were definitely in a bind.

$$$$ were at a premium as well.

We own a small car hauler trailer so that was a plus.

I scrounged up the dumpster from a manufacture an hour and a half away for $300 as it was made wrong and the grab anchors that the truck gets hold of were in the wrong place.

They deemed it too costly to repair, plus the figured the patch up would look ugly and anyone buying it would balk at the normal price.

This one was clean, never used too.

Tarping outdoors is going to present issues due to the very wet conditions and the temp changes will cause sweating inside the can.

The shells have some nut meat pieces and with dampness this stuff will mold YUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

This stuff must stay dry.

We have thought about a 3-4 yard holding area/room in one corner of the basement and gravity filling it through a window.

It all gets $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ AND DEFEATS the initial cost of KEEP IT CHEAP

We own the trailer, dumpster and the barrels were dirt cheap when we originally got them back in 92/93 season

WE have explored augers and vac systems to unload, but it all gets into $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ quick.

I am mulling over a drop gate in the back side at the bottom of the dumpster to allow us to fill a 5 gallon pail quick and then dump that into the barrels.

This would make the transfer much faster than bailing it one 3 gallon bucket at time and pouring it into a barrel.

Time is a pretty cheap commodity when you are retired ya know.

We are always looking at a better way.

I have thought about a 4 or 5 inch auger to put into the dumpster at the bottom facing back ?????????????????

Status
Not open for further replies.