Cap & Trade To Ban Wood/Pellet Stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fdegree

Feeling the Heat
Oct 20, 2009
Southern Delaware
I don't know if I'm posting this in the correct area, but...

I was told today that there is wording in the current Cap & Trade proposal that would ban the manufacturing and using of wood stoves and pellet stoves. Personally, I have not seen any evidence of this. So, I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about this or if I am hearing false rumors.

It doesn't make sense that they would "pay" you to buy a wood stove through tax incentives and then turn around and ban the use of wood stoves with Cap & Trade. Then again, it is our government and they do some strange things sometimes.

Anyone...

Not true at all.
In fact, cap and trade or any other method to reduce carbon fossil fuel emissions and replace with renewables usually contains a way where some of the money collected from auctions goes toward green energy.

There is a political part to this - right now the US Biomass industry (wood and pellets) has not been doing enough to prove the cleanliness and efficiency of the modern appliances. That's part of what the recent conference was about.

So, if anything - at least IMHO, any cap and trade or alt energy efforts from the government will be a shot in the arm for clean wood and pellet burning, as they are likely to use some money to replace older units with updated efficient ones, etc.

Read some of the threads in the Pellet room about the recent conference if you have no already.

It is very likely, IMHO, that we will follow the example of Central Europe and Scandinavia in this. That is to make the units more and more efficient and clean, and make it mandatory to provide a certain percentage of heat (in a region) with renewable fuel....which, in New England, means wood and pellets.

No politician in his/her right mind would ban something so prevalent. They want to be re-elected. If it doesn't make sense, it's probably someone spreading an internet rumor. Use Snopes.com to check it out.

Don't know about the current version but the original contained the funding for a nationwide trade out program for swapping pre-EPA wood stoves for EPA wood and pellet stoves. Funding to be provided to the states to administer the programs.

My understanding is that there are two bills. The first is the cap and trade bill originally proposed by the President. It wasn't perfect, but it had a clause to create a beneficial fund by auctioning off carbon credits. This fund would have been to assist people transitioning from pre-EPA stoves and to help the elderly, etc. with increased fuel costs. The Senate, jumping to the crack of the whip of their lobbyist masters has cut this. The bill is now a bloated 1500 page mess. As it now appears, the current legislation is another corporate welfare program for the energy industry with no semblance to the original.

However, there has been a counter-proposal, the CLEAR ACT introduced by Cantwell-WA and Collins that is a blessed 40 pages of understandable rules and is worth reading up on.

http://cantwell.senate.gov/issues/CLEARAct.cfm

This bill needs input from us. What would we like to see in this legislation?

I can't believe they want to regulate and tax air, what a scam! This is all about power and money. The bill should be based around pollution and cleaner burning, co2 is not a pollutant.

Thanks for clearing this up.

Perhaps what this person heard was in reference to older, non-EPA stoves and failed to relay that part to me when they mentioned all of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.