Banning wood burning stoves.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I heard they want to start banning wood burning stoves, starting next year !

Do you think the bill will pass?

Will you give up your wood burning stoves?
Who is they? Federal govt no way. NY state possibly but very doubtful and definitely not next year

Reactions: Ashful
lol... people have been posting messages like this since I joined this forum a dozen years ago. Aside from tightening some emissions standards and eliminating some loopholes, none have come to fruition.

Like bholler said, who is "they"?

That’s what I said.. I don’t think it will pass. But maybe in New York City, but I doubt ny state, because so many people use it to heat their house !

That’s what I said.. I don’t think it will pass. But maybe in New York City, but I doubt ny state, because so many people use it to heat their house !
Is there actually a bill proposed?

That’s what I said.. I don’t think it will pass.
You said that to your wife? ;)
They would have to pry my stove from my warm, dead fingers! 🚭😏

i don't think they will ban outright,what they did in montreal was raise the emissions allowed so that once you get rid of old stove you have to meet standards.99% percent will just close up shop and won't buy new one subtle ban but ban anyway

i don't think they will ban outright,what they did in montreal was raise the emissions allowed so that once you get rid of old stove you have to meet standards.99% percent will just close up shop and won't buy new one subtle ban but ban anyway
How is that a ban on woodstoves? That's just a ban on new installs of old stoves

think about it this way,were the 1%ers that drive our stoves down the highway scaring little children back into there air purified homes.we burn because we like the bit of independance it gives etc etc,bbut regular folks here bought their stove after the big ice storm they probably don't even use them that much so their not going to buy a new one.hence subtle way of getting rid of them

think about it this way,were the 1%ers that drive our stoves down the highway scaring little children back into there air purified homes.we burn because we like the bit of independance it gives etc etc,bbut regular folks here bought their stove after the big ice storm they probably don't even use them that much so their not going to buy a new one.hence subtle way of getting rid of them
Again how is requiring new installs to meet current standards a ban on woodstoves? Are they requiring replacement of existing stoves?

gotta read inbetween the lines sometimes,think like a politician wanting to get elected again u have to go with the flow
Or you could just read the actual law and it's requirements. There are several states here with similar requirements. And it is not a ban on woodstoves

Last edited:
Ok we can absolutely discuss the possibility of banning stoves we have many times before but I will not allow this to devolve into a thread of paranoid political nonsense

I get how limiting the potential for new installs is in a sense a ban, as old stoves are retired due to wear and tear, or lack of supporting replacement parts. But excepting a few very unique areas (eg. Fairbanks), I've not even seen anything that severely limits the scope of new installs, amongst the many years of discussion on this topic. The tax incentives offered for buying stoves above a certain efficiency seem to be doing a good job on one end, and the new 2020 regs seem to have taken some of the poorer options off the market.

I get how limiting the potential for new installs is in a sense a ban, as old stoves are retired due to wear and tear, or lack of supporting replacement parts. But excepting a few very unique areas (eg. Fairbanks), I've not even seen anything that severely limits the scope of new installs, amongst the many years of discussion on this topic. The tax incentives offered for buying stoves above a certain efficiency seem to be doing a good job on one end, and the new 2020 regs seem to have taken some of the poorer options off the market.
But they are only limiting new installs by requiring them to meet the new standards. You can still do new installs

Sounds more like idle speculation. NY, AK, & CA are demanding that the EPA have much greater clarity and consistency in wood testing standards but that is different from a ban. There are a few old threads on this topic by a person in CA wanting to ban stoves. It went nowhere.