Caps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I'm looking at a 2001 truck with a cap. What are the plusses and minuses of a cap? I can see it'd be hard/impossible to load bulk materials like mulch and maybe firewood.
Are they worth it? It must be a hassle taking it off and putting it back on again.

I've never owned a truck.
Thanks.

In the past I have had caps, Makes hard to see out the back and handicaps you when backing up some, limits what you can put in the back.There is always something taller than available space for some reason. In the winter snow builds up between the cab and cap. They have there useful side as well though like sleeping in truck when hunting, or putting up the mutts when really foul ( like a skunk) and such, or moving something when the weather is not hospitable. I use the roll up bed covers now keeps the weather off shorter stuff. Quick to get out of the way for a full load. If the weather is that nasty shouldn't be moving big stuff anyway. As my trucks are 4x4 they are a fair distance deck wise off the ground so a rental of an enclosed trailer is mostly the better choice for nasty weather or an open one otherwise.(I have 2 open ones, a 4x8 & a 16'+-5ton unit ) Unless you rig something up it takes 2 to get them on and off in one piece. To each their own though.They use to make a doughnut to fill the space between the cab & cap to keep the weather off the windows they worked to a degree. One more thing splits and rounds are real good at taking out windows.

Depends on your needs and wants. Aluminum caps are light and easy to put on and take off ,Fiberglass are a lot heavier and need more manpower!

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.