Carburetor adjustment tool for Husqvarna 440

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Stelcom66

Minister of Fire
Nov 6, 2014
Connecticut
My Husqvarna 440 is starting to stall under load. With a flashlight I couldn't tell what kind of tool is required for low and high speed idle. The manual only refers to the idle adjustment which appears to be done by a flat blade screwdriver. I tried looking with a flashlight but couldn't determine what is used for the L and H adjustments. A flat and Phillips screwdriver didn't fit. Could it be a spline tool? I've seen 21 and 7 teeth spline tools.

Last edited:
Have any wiring butt connectors laying around?
iu

This a serious rednekk saw hack, but it works...jamb one of these down on the splines and adjust away...if one is too small and the next too big (red, blue, yellow in order smallest to largest) then take the "too small" one and split it with a razor blade to allow it to expand a bit...1 slit, then 2 if needed (directly across from each other)
If you need a "longer one", jamb the appropriate size screwdriver in the other end of the connector, oh, and if needed you can use a screwdriver to shove the metal insert out of the plastic sleeve too...

I picked up -THESE- to be able to adjust the carb on my Husqvarna 555RXT Forestry Saw.

This is the one I believe mine needed. You need to use the tool to press in the locking collar and while holding it in you can turn it like a normal jet.

1638715654828.png

Reactions: brenndatomu
I picked up -THESE- to be able to adjust the carb on my Husqvarna 555RXT Forestry Saw.

This is the one I believe mine needed. You need to use the tool to press in the locking collar and while holding it in you can turn it like a normal jet.

View attachment 287083
That looks like the one that my Crapsman/Poulan Pro/ rebadged Husky made saws take...

Reactions: JRHAWK9
I figured there had to be a hack! I do likely have some of those butt connectors. I asked my son if he had a spline tool, I guess he didn't so the next thing is I see a text of what he bought which should arrive at my house tomorrow, looks kind of like JRHAWK9's kit. Needless to say he's a good kid, the house he bought in 2019 (Thank God back then, probably worth $50k more now) came with a nice fireplace insert with a fan. I hope he takes me up on access to my wood stack.

I still (wish I had a Stihl) want to clean the saw so I can access the holes better. Maybe the manual describes what the L & H adjustments do but not how to adjust them. Maybe because it says "Fine adjustment should be carried out by a skilled technician."

Thanks for the information.

There are lots of video's on carb adjustment that would help you out.
Short form...
1 adjust the idle
2adjust the low mixture leaning it out till the saw starts to race then go back a bit
readjust the idle
3 adjust the high speed jet while holding the throttle wide open,close it up till the engine starts to rev higher,then open it up till you get the sound of a 4 stroke engine.It's adjusted properly when that sound goes away while you are cutting
Go back to step 1
once you get the hang of it it dosn't take long,and you will find yourself taking the adjustment tool with you when cutting wood.

Reactions: brenndatomu
... you will find yourself taking the adjustment tool with you when cutting wood.
So along with a sharpening file, pack the adjustment tool also. I think I did see the video where it mentions sounding like a 4 stroke engine. Once I get that tool I'll refer to this. Thanks for the tips.