1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Careful With Those Ashes Folks

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by BrotherBart, Oct 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Happens every year:

"The fire happened at about 11:30 a.m. Wednesday and started when a plastic bucket of wood stove ashes was placed on the wooden deck of the 4,000-square-foot house, at 24402 Maxfield Creek Road.

“The wood stove had not been used for two days. Probably a good lesson for all of us,” said Alan Shifley, assistant chief of the Hoskins-Kings Valley Rural Fire Protection District.

He urged people to put stove ashes in a metal bucket and keep them away from any wooden or flammable materials. Dousing the ashes with water also could help."

http://www.gazettetimes.com/articles/2006/10/17/news/community/5aaa03homefire.txt

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Gibbonboy

Gibbonboy New Member

That's a pretty rural area, would have guessed that it was in a housing development. Sad that mistakes like this happen over and over. It all does boil down to common sense, though.
  3. cogger

cogger Member

I've been dumping mine in a 55gl steel barrell with rain water in it until the snow comes. I use the warm ash and the edge of my dooryard and road during winter on icy spots
  4. wg_bent

wg_bent Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    That story is like a how to burn your house down in 1 easy lesson.

My original response to this post was going to be more of a comical reply with an even more absurd scenerio, but I thought someone might take me seriously, so I ditched it.

Just yesterday evening when about 5pm I pulled about 2 quarts of ashes out of the stove and put them in my usual metal pot. Put the pot out on the front walk (The only stone surface I feel comfortable putting hot ashes on) There were still a couple hot coals in there this morning. I've seen them last 3 days in that pot!!
  5. babalu87

babalu87 New Member

Loc:
    middleborough, ma.
    ..... and dont dump gasoline and then throw a match at it either.
  6. Rick

Rick Member

Loc:
    Connecticut
    This time last year my father put his medal ash can out on his patio, in a safe corner. A couple of days later we got a windy day and a whole bunch of leaves blew into that same corner. The leaves piled around the can and lit up. A good intentioned neighbor reported his house on fire. I'm on the volunteer fire department in my town so that was a fun ride to his house, he wasn't home so I couldn't get a hold of him. Luckily, his patio is all stone and the leaves were contained in one corner, so nothing happened to his house and the fire didn't spread. I took some ribbing for that, as did he. But lesson learned, be careful where you put that can.

Rick
  7. KateC

KateC New Member

Loc:
    Arizona
    I don't care what time it is or what the weather's like---I immediately take the closed metal bucket out to the far back yard and dump it in the firepit---if it's wet out fine---if it's dry and they want to stay alive I figure it's a good time to have a little bonfire and burn the junk mail.
  8. CountryGal

CountryGal Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Mojave Desert California
    We have a metal ash bucket next to the stove and I know they can stay lit awhile.

Where do you all dispose of your ash once it it totally cold?
  9. KateC

KateC New Member

Loc:
    Arizona
    If it's cold and not got alot of hard chunkies in it I dump it on the compost pile---lucky to have a big yard in the boonies.
  10. hardwood715

hardwood715 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Hyde Park, New York
    Am I missing something, or am I doing something wrong, after I put ashes in the bucket , I run some water in there. After a while I dump in my garden which is quite a ways from the house, why not water em down?
  11. KateC

KateC New Member

Loc:
    Arizona
    I just don't like the muddy mess in the bucket---but if I knew it wasn't going to be dumped right away, I'd certainly run water into the bucket, but probably before I put the ashes in, to cut down on the splash and dust flying.
  12. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Pretty much depends (pun intended) on how much coffee I have been drinking.
  13. hardwood715

hardwood715 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Hyde Park, New York
    hehehehe,
  14. MrGriz

MrGriz New Member

Loc:
    Waterford, WI
    Ever feel like you're just "the middle man"?
  15. Gibbonboy

Gibbonboy New Member

I compost my wood ashes, or spread them on the garden to raise the pH. I have 2 5-gallon metal pails with lids that I alternate outside cooling down. Other than being dusty, and getting tracked into the house, you can spread them on the ice/snow , both for traction, and to make the sunlight melt the ice faster. I won't put them on the driveway anymore, got sick of the mess after burning coal for so long and tracking cinders and dirt into the house. Plus I love to give my garden good stuff to grow with- more veggies for me!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.