Careful With Those Ashes Folks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
Happens every year:

"The fire happened at about 11:30 a.m. Wednesday and started when a plastic bucket of wood stove ashes was placed on the wooden deck of the 4,000-square-foot house, at 24402 Maxfield Creek Road.

“The wood stove had not been used for two days. Probably a good lesson for all of us,” said Alan Shifley, assistant chief of the Hoskins-Kings Valley Rural Fire Protection District.

He urged people to put stove ashes in a metal bucket and keep them away from any wooden or flammable materials. Dousing the ashes with water also could help."

http://www.gazettetimes.com/articles/2006/10/17/news/community/5aaa03homefire.txt

That's a pretty rural area, would have guessed that it was in a housing development. Sad that mistakes like this happen over and over. It all does boil down to common sense, though.

That story is like a how to burn your house down in 1 easy lesson.

My original response to this post was going to be more of a comical reply with an even more absurd scenerio, but I thought someone might take me seriously, so I ditched it.

Just yesterday evening when about 5pm I pulled about 2 quarts of ashes out of the stove and put them in my usual metal pot. Put the pot out on the front walk (The only stone surface I feel comfortable putting hot ashes on) There were still a couple hot coals in there this morning. I've seen them last 3 days in that pot!!

..... and dont dump gasoline and then throw a match at it either.

This time last year my father put his medal ash can out on his patio, in a safe corner. A couple of days later we got a windy day and a whole bunch of leaves blew into that same corner. The leaves piled around the can and lit up. A good intentioned neighbor reported his house on fire. I'm on the volunteer fire department in my town so that was a fun ride to his house, he wasn't home so I couldn't get a hold of him. Luckily, his patio is all stone and the leaves were contained in one corner, so nothing happened to his house and the fire didn't spread. I took some ribbing for that, as did he. But lesson learned, be careful where you put that can.

Rick

I don't care what time it is or what the weather's like---I immediately take the closed metal bucket out to the far back yard and dump it in the firepit---if it's wet out fine---if it's dry and they want to stay alive I figure it's a good time to have a little bonfire and burn the junk mail.

Am I missing something, or am I doing something wrong, after I put ashes in the bucket , I run some water in there. After a while I dump in my garden which is quite a ways from the house, why not water em down?

I just don't like the muddy mess in the bucket---but if I knew it wasn't going to be dumped right away, I'd certainly run water into the bucket, but probably before I put the ashes in, to cut down on the splash and dust flying.

hardwood715 said:
Am I missing something, or am I doing something wrong, after I put ashes in the bucket , I run some water in there. After a while I dump in my garden which is quite a ways from the house, why not water em down?

Pretty much depends (pun intended) on how much coffee I have been drinking.

Ever feel like you're just "the middle man"?

I compost my wood ashes, or spread them on the garden to raise the pH. I have 2 5-gallon metal pails with lids that I alternate outside cooling down. Other than being dusty, and getting tracked into the house, you can spread them on the ice/snow , both for traction, and to make the sunlight melt the ice faster. I won't put them on the driveway anymore, got sick of the mess after burning coal for so long and tracking cinders and dirt into the house. Plus I love to give my garden good stuff to grow with- more veggies for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.