carrying chains in the field

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowninwv

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2010
west virginia
how do u all tote chains in the field...i usually carry em in original box...and they are all tangled up when u get em out...sometimes im 5 minutes untangling the dang things

1 extra new or resharpened one in package stays in saw case,another one in deep pocket of leather pouch. Plus 7/32 round file w/handle,scrench & small triangular file when the rakers could use a slight lowering.

Attachments

• PICT0041.JPG
    PICT0041.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 182
1 extra new or resharpened one in package stays in saw case,another one in deep pocket of leather pouch. Plus 7/32 round file w/handle,scrench & small triangular file when the rakers could use a slight lowering.

I just bought the same leather pouch. . . Gonna love it!

I do the same with chains. Never really had a problem untangling.

My Bro-in-Law keeps an extra bar and chain in a PVC tube. Its stays protected and as tight as it is, the chain stays on. Plus room for new chains along the side of the PVC tube.

2012-07-30_16-36-21_834.jpg

how do u all tote chains in the field...i usually carry em in original box...and they are all tangled up when u get em out...sometimes im 5 minutes untangling the dang things

I'm never far from my truck, so, they stay in the truck. I typically do not swap out chains in the field unless I really smoke one.

Reactions: ScotO
In the original box just like you SteelTown. But I'm pretty quick at straightening them out. ;)

Thought: for an 18" chain, take a 17" long piece of one-inch ID PVC pipe. Cut a slit down one side, the length of the pipe. Insert 1/2 the chain lengthwise, with the other 1/2 outside the pipe. Use a twist tie at top and bottom to hold chain in pipe. This might even hold several chains, using a larger ID pipe.

Any patent offers?

I throw one or two extra chains in the saw case and just untangle them if they get that way.

Right now I use 2 zip ties to keep them stright.

I carry my one and only chain in on my saw. I file in the field so I don't worry about them getting dull. Takes me about the same amount of time to sharpen as it does to swap chains. If I pinch the bar real bad I'll use the winch to move the log and pop it out.

But I'm pretty quick at straightening them out. ;)

There's definately an art to getting the "loop" out of one. I get them straightened out thru trial and error...never really took the time to figure out what works...

If you have a trick I'm all ears.

You know those plastic containers for clorox wipes? I use one that's labeled "sharp" and one that's labeled "dull" I think you get the idea.
clorox1.jpg

I carry extra chains in my saw box - large tool box dedicated to saws, parts, wrenches, spark plugs, etc. Each chain is in it's own labeled qt size freezer zip lock bag. Dull chains are also placed in labeled zip lock bags.

I just throw a chain in the trailer in case it is needed. But if you are talking about saw chains, I never take an extra chain. I own only one saw chain and that is enough.

I carry a new chain in the original box, in the saw case, just in case the one on the saw gets destroyed. I sharpen the one on the saw when it needs it. My files are in the saw box too. When the one on the saw can't be sharpened anymore, I put the new one on and replace it......maintaining the Status Quo.

I just throw a chain in the trailer in case it is needed. But if you are talking about saw chains, I never take an extra chain. I own only one saw chain and that is enough.
That is impressive with all the wood you cut Dennis. I never carry a spare either, I normally cut for a tank full of gas then haul wood out in the ATV trailer. Probably get 4 trailer loads to the tank full. Chain gets touched up back home before the next tank full begins. But I do not cut on the road that much, I would probably just take two saws and I keep a file in the saw case. I do keep spare chains back at home, unlike the man.

There's definately an art to getting the "loop" out of one. I get them straightened out thru trial and error...never really took the time to figure out what works...

If you have a trick I'm all ears.

No trick, just too many customers tossing a chain across the counter that's been kicking around their floorboard for a couple months. Good eye and lots of practice!

I too never carry a spare chain. A touch-up with a file after each tank of gas. The Husky 372xp does a lot of cutting on one tank of gas, and a break to touch-up the chain is usually welcome.

Heh... before reading the responses, I was going to suggest you carry tow straps instead of chains. Way lighter.

'guess I had the wrong kind of "chain" in mind. Sort of explains why the chain I buy never came in a box.

Saw chains: I carry two or three (our four) saws with me when I go out to cut, so while I always throw some spare chains in the truck, I've never actually had to change a chain away from home. Smoke a chain, swaps saws, worry about it when I get home.

I have two extra chains I carry in a Autocraft Tool Bag which also has files,bug spray,small hatchet along with other stuff in it.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.