Cast Iron stove in unheated cabin

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterJ

Feb 27, 2010
MN
Hey folks, can I place a cast iron stove in an unheated cabin in Western Wisconsin that gets to below 0 temps in the winter and start :) it at those temps without it cracking the cast iron due to thermal shock? Somewhere I read this was a bad fit so to speak. Any thoughts? Thanks.

No problem...fire it right up.

Cast iron stoves just need to be "seasoned" by doing a couple break-in fires. Any stove you choose should have instructions for this in the manual. Other than that, you'll have no problems. Although Im a huge cast fan, some people like steel stoves in cabins because they tend to warm things up a tad quicker. Either one should be a great fit. Enjoy.

Yup, once the stove is properly broken in, fire away. I also agree that a steel stove will heat up a little faster and is sometimes better suited for the vacation homes. But if you like cast iron and dont mind waiting a few extra minutes, buy what you like. Just make sure you oversize the stove when researching. You want to compensate for the lack of insulation, the desire for quicker heat and hell, it's only a cabin so it would be fun to run the stove with a window open.

PeterJ said:
Hey folks, can I place a cast iron stove in an unheated cabin in Western Wisconsin that gets to below 0 temps in the winter and start :) it at those temps without it cracking the cast iron due to thermal shock? Somewhere I read this was a bad fit so to speak. Any thoughts? Thanks.
We heat our hunting cabin in Central Wisconsin with a cast iron Round Oak stove. No problems. Lots of people here use stoves in garages and sheds too without any trouble.

I have a cabin around Phillips Wis. We use an old earth stove, it's a steel stove. It doesn't hurt the stove at all but we are carefull not to put a kettle of hot water on the top cause I'm afraid it might split. We have fired it up as cold as -28 outside and -16 in the cabin.

Status
Not open for further replies.