cast iron versus steel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

netmouse

May 25, 2008
North NJ
The following website totally rules out cast iron stoves. It says only steel will last even with many over firings. As I am looking to get a new stove, I'd appreciate your comments. I'm trying to find the best stove to buy.

http://www.stoveguide.net/

Part of what this website says is:

4. How to identify a stove that will provide a lifetime of trouble free service without the big price tag...

With cast iron ruled out, what remains is steel construction. Reject any stove body thickness less than ¼". Look for seamless steel unibody stoves. Some have cast iron doors and legs with rounded unibody corners. A door gasket size of 3/4" to 1" diameter is a big plus, as well as a complete frame holding the glass tight, rather than a few small clips or washers. The 'brains' of the stove are the ceiling retainers and secondary combustion tubes. They must be stainless steel. Steel stoves are more attractive than ever. Most provide larger fire views, and a wide variety of contrasting door and leg finishes. Quality steel stoves are economical and will handle frequent over-firing without total loss or damage, and maintenance is minimal. The best quality stoves are by Lennox, their 'Country' stove line. Others such as Lopi, Avalon, and Quadrifire are a bit lesser in quality, and cost more.

It's a dumb and blatantly biased article. We've seen it here before. If he ever gets around to finishing it, he should put a link right back to it in paragraph 10. Rick

Well let's see here. Jonn DeBar of http://www.firesideheat.com/ that sells Vermont Castings cast iron stoves says not to buy a cast iron stove. He also craps all over steel stoves other than the Lennox Country stove line. Surprise, surprise. The steel stoves he sells are Country and Pacific Energy. I love unbiased websites. :lol:

Personally I would stick to the actual experiences of hearth.com members myself.

I like Country stoves, they are made not too far from here and offer a good value. But as far as I know they don't recommend overfiring their stoves any more than any other manufacturer. Country explicitly and frequently warns against overfiring in their manuals. I wonder if Mr. DeBar personally warrantees the overfirings that he condones.

Overfiring Damage - If the heater or chimney connector glows,
you are overfiring. Other symptoms may include: Cracking,
warping or burning out of components, plated doors may turn
color, stove glass may develop a haze, which will not come off
with cleaning.
Overfiring of a stove is a condition where excessive temperatures
are reached, beyond the design capabilities of the appliance. The
damage that occurs from overfiring is not covered under the
manufacturer’s limited warranty.

So do I understand that all cast stoves are a piece of crap. I thought when I bought a jotul I was buying the one of the best stoves available

Not at all. The advice on the website is biased and deserves the golden doodoo award for being a piece of crap. Not your stove.

Hanko said:
So do I understand that all cast stoves are a piece of crap. I thought when I bought a jotul I was buying the one of the best stoves available

Everybody knows that Jotuls are crap. Only thing worse than a Jotul cast is a Lopi steel. :lol: Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.