Q&A Cast iron wood stove or not?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I'm looking to get a woodstove to heat about 1600 sq ft of space in my home. I'm confused, however, about cast iron versus the other stoves. Dealers I spoke with all extolled the virtues of their product lines, i.e., cast iron is cemented together and will leak in a short time and begin to "suck air", non cast iron doesn't have the longevity or heating qualities as cast iron, welds fatigue, etc. Frankly, the cast iron's looks are better and they seem as least as substantive as the non-cast iron stoves. what's your opinion?

Answer:

They are both fine and will last for decades if properly maintained. Modern cast-iron stoves are built quite tightly, and will not leak air easily. Use your style and budget to make your decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.