Castile ash door gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ggmiii74

Oct 5, 2016
Illinois
Looking for tips on replacing the ash door gasket on a Castile, I'm replacing the door gasket so I figured I might as well do both. Also, thanks to all of those that have provided input/answers for the questions I have had...new pellet stove owner here

Sorry no one got back to you ... not much help here as the ash pan on my stove is covered by the stove door. Have you tried a search top right?

Looking for tips on replacing the ash door gasket on a Castile, I'm replacing the door gasket so I figured I might as well do both. Also, thanks to all of those that have provided input/answers for the questions I have had...new pellet stove owner here
Hi
The Quad Castile TadPole gasket I just replaced is a combination fire door and glass gasket held in by 2 rods on each side of the door. I gently tapped out the bottom of the two rods with a screw driver and hammer then pulled the rods up thru the top of the door. After removing the old gasket, I cleaned the glass and peeled back the tape on the new gasket. The thin flat sticky part of the gasket is wrapped around the glass toward the inside and the thick part of the TadPole is the door gasket. Allow room on the sides of the glass so the rods can slide back down to hold it in. In other words the fad TadPole part of the gasket should not be too close to the edge of the glass because the rods will not fit over it. Also due to the bottom airwash the TadPole gasket is only on the top and sides of the glass. However there is a short piece of regular tape gasket on the front bottom of the glass so it will not rub against the metal frame. Mine was in good shape but you may want to check yours and replace it if needed.
Just my 2 cents

Last edited:
I replaced both gaskets, whoever replaced the tadpole gasket in the past, had not installed it correctly. They didn't wrap the adhesive side around from the front side of the glass, and it was making a poor/non existant seal.

Reactions: kappel15
Status
Not open for further replies.