Castile Flame Running Too High

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks very much, everyone, for your help!!!! You won't believe what I did. The door gasket on my old Castile is upside down from the new ones. The new Castiles have the backwash, (I think they call it), on the bottom; and my old one was supposed to be on the top. So I had checked everything out on the new Castile that was in the stove shop when i went to get the parts, so I may have been thinking about that when I put the new gasket on mine, (or I was more likely just listening to the music in my head). Anyway I put the thing on upside down.

Don at Buy The Fire stove shop in Oxford, Maine figured that out for me. I came home, took out the glass and flipped it over; and now the small, VERY bright fire is down in the burn pot where it should be. It's been buring for a few hours, so I'm declaring a limited success. There is some soot building up on the door, so I apparently have some tightening up to do still. At least I can use the darn thing now anyway, which is important this time of year.

I'll try tweaking it some more in a week or so. I'm kind of burned out on it now.

THANKS VERY MUCH again!!!

Reactions: Dinger
Glad you got it fixed... and thanks for the info. I'll be replacing my gasket once the season is over and until now I was wondering if I should try to install it like the "new" airwash. I'll keep it the way it was made.

Thank you for this post! I just bought a used Castile insert and installed it earlier this week. The rope gasket was badly frayed so I just simply replaced it with a regular rope gasket, not even thinking about it. I roped it all the way around too. Call it being in a rush, but all day I've been wondering why my flame has been different and my glass has been getting so dirty. Luckily now I know. I think I should slow down a little once and a while and pay attention to what I'm doing!

Reactions: Harris Magoon
Harris removing the combustion blower is not hard at least not on my later model Castile (bought from by the fire). There really is no way to clean the back side of the combustion blower while installed on the stove as you cannot get to it from the front.

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
Status
Not open for further replies.