Castile Insert Hopper Question...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sesro1978

Dec 23, 2008
Vermont, USA
Hi-

Concerning a Quadra-Fire Castile Insert - is it possible to overload the hopper in these stoves? Too many pellets?

Also, my new stove rumbles and rattles when it first starts up and is calling for pellets...is this "normal"? Is this typically a noisy insert?

Thanks,
S

The hopper capacity is for 45lbs of pellets. I've never been able to get even a full bag (40lbs) in there however. For the insert, you definitely have to push the pellets to the rear of the hopper as you're filling it which is a pain. I try to push mine back as far as possible. Its not possible to push too many back there. Just be sure you can close the top of the hopper safely and you should be ok..

/marc

oh yeah, My stove rattles so much that I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I think the rattles come from the frame that is placed around the stove against the fireplace. I also hate how loud the combustion fan is. I always run the stove on high (because of need) on most days and the fan is really loud on that setting. The stove is in our family room, but we've gotten used to it. Although one of these days I'm probably going to snap, sell the thing, and buy something nicer. As you can tell, I'm not a big Castile fan..

/marc

Status
Not open for further replies.