castile insert stops working when blower comes on....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sydflash

Nov 10, 2010
NH
I'm having a problem with my Castile insert. It's about five years old.

It starts up fine and the auger feeds pellets after ignition - the flame looks normal.

THEN… shortly after the blower (the one that moves heat into the room) comes on it quits feeding.

Would it be operating at all if there was a problem with the vac switch? Any idea when it starts checking for vacuum?

Is this most likely related to the temp? I was thinking maybe it was a false high heat shut down?

How is the snap disc reset?

Any test for a bad thermocouple?

I should also mention, I cleaned the exhaust blower and the chimney for the first time recently, so the stove was moved around a bit and the exhaust pipe disconnected too. Not sure if that could be my problem.

Thanks for any help you all can give! This seems like a great (or grate, as it were) site!

*** I have reposed this from another discussion as advised therein.

It starts testing for vacuum as soon as the exhaust fan comes on. It wouldn't feed pellets if it didn't sense vacuum. On your control box, what color light do you see when it stops feeding? You should at least see the green light in order for it to keep feeding. That would rule out the thermocouple if you are getting a green or red light INSIDE the box.
I also was thinking about the high heat shutdown as the culprit.

If the snap disc is a resettable one there is a red button in the center of it. Press the button it should go in just a wee bit and stay there.

Does your convection blower actually run properly, it is possible that the blower never gets to speed or the air flow is blocked thus the stove goes into overheated mode and the SAFETY shuts it down.

Make certain you find out why it thinks (or is) overheating. The most common cause of an over temperature shutdown is a failing convection blower.

Status
Not open for further replies.