Castile questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smalltown

Minister of Fire
Oct 1, 2008
Western Maine
My Castile is running super super super. It has been throughly tested with both Sunday NFL and Monday night football games. The Quadrafire thermostat that came with the install works ok. I might replace it with a digital unit, but still testing the supplied thermostat. Still getting used to running and cleaniing the stove. It seems like I am using more pellets than I expected. I am running on low and shutting it off late at night. It appears I am burning a bag a pellets a day. Any thoughts?
I had two questions:
1. I read as many posts as I can and see comments about the color of the ash in the pan. My ash color is black and has a few clumps that when finger pressure is applied crumble easily. The stove seems to be running fine there is hardly any ash build up in the firepot otherwise. I cannot imagine I have a problem but thought I would ask. So far I have been running on low as this is giving us more than enough heat for now. Burning Maine Choice pellets. It's been rather damp outside maybe as the winter sets in and the humidity drops the color changes?

2: While running the stove one evening my young grandson was on the floor looking at the stove and said "how come I can see flames when I look in here"
I looked myself of course and if I look on the lower right hand corner (facing the stove) to the top of the ash tray housing where the wiring enters for the ignighter I can indeed see the glow of the fire apparently coming from the firepot. Today I shone a flashlight in the hole and if I viggle the light I can see the light shining into the firepot through the small holes in the firepot. I pulled the ash pan and I guess the way the Castile is constructed you will see a glow coming from firepot. I think I just answered my second question ? :) Did I mention I like my stove?

Smalltown great choice of stoves a friend of mine has one and absolutely loves it,happy burning.

Nice stove smalltown and glad your happy with it. Thats a good thing.

Nothing wrong with being happy about it and bragging Too!

Enjoy and stay warm.

jay

How cold are you there and what type of structure are you heating (sq foot, insul, leaks)? BTU's are BTU's, and they are going somewhere, the stove will put out dependent on that and what you're feeding it.

1) Burn what works in your stove. I have no belief in ash color, different fuels will burn differently. Some will create a lot of ash and may even 'clinker' in your stove, others may burn with less ash of different colors. Burn what works in your stove, experiment a bit and you will find this.
2) You answered your question, yes, you will see light from the fire in the pot from the ash pan area. Normal. Know that the stove draws air up from the ash pot area, thru the burn pot holes and out the exhaust. Normal to see light via the pot holes and other holes in the area of the ash pan.

I've been burning the same stove for 5 years now, hard. Great stove imho. Enjoy it!

Gotzthe Hotz Ya I wasn't too worried about the color just curious. Heating a small cape cod style home approx 1750 sq feet. Insulated pretty good in the walls going to add some more to the ceiling above the second floor. All new insulated windows a few years ago. So it's fairly tight. Didn't think this stove would carry the whole heating load, but the boiler hasn't come on yet for heat.
Temp in my area like yours is below the norm. We are running approx mid 40s F. during the day and tonight around 30 Deg F.. Hoping it goes back to normal soon it's too early for these temps. Since it's my first pellet stove I didn't know what to expect for pellet usage.
Tonight the house is 68 deg as I walk around the first floor with my Castile on low.

Status
Not open for further replies.