1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Castile Top Vent Adapter Kit

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by deep wood, Jul 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deep wood

deep wood New Member

Loc:
    AK
    I purchased the Quadra Fire Castile and I'm currently planning the install. Is the Top Vent Adapter kit required for an "up and out" installation or may a person substitute a double walled "T" (the bottom of the T capped and used for cleaning access) plus a vertical (approximately 60") run, with double walled pipe, then out. My dealer does not have the Top Vent Adapter Kit in stock. Thanks in advance for replies and advice!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. smoke show

smoke show Guest

3. Shortstuff

Shortstuff Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southeastern MA
    I didn't even know there was a top-vent adapter kit for the Castile.

I did exactly what you're asking about with my Castile, directly out of the stove with a 3" "T" with a cleanout on the bottom, then mine goes straight up 14' throught the ceiling and roof. All Simpson Duravent Pro.

Steve

Attached Files:

4. mralias

mralias Minister of Fire

Loc:
    MA
    According to the owners manual a top vent kit is shown for an up and out installation. Here is the pdf link to the manual Linky poo
  5. MainePellethead

MainePellethead Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    Holy cow.....that looks like a pain to clean. I had mine go straight out the wall...with the tee outside the wall and then went approx. 8' up. A snap to clean :) No mess .
  6. cac4

cac4 New Member

Loc:
    Essex County, MA
    so how do you guys like the Castilles?

think you can heat a well-insulated 1600 sq ft house with one?
  7. deep wood

deep wood New Member

Loc:
    AK
    Thanks for the replies.....my "up" must be inside since my floor is 40" below grade. I agree cleaning may be problematic but it appears any corner installation will be a tight fit and difficult to access the clean-out. Does anyone disconnect their stove from the exhaust vent and move it away from the wall/corner to clean the exhaust vent?
    I'm thinking about the difficultly of breaking the silicone seal on the exhaust pipe.
  8. jtp10181

jtp10181 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Madison, WI
    The rear to top kit has a side cleanout door making it easier to clean. It also mounts to the stove which will support the weight of a full vertical install. I have never seen anywhere that it is required but I think it makes a cleaner looking install.
  9. deep wood

deep wood New Member

Loc:
    AK
    Good point!, I didn't consider the weight and support of the exhaust pipe. I will ask my dealer to order the kit.....

Thanks for the help!
  10. moralleper

moralleper New Member

Loc:
    Kalama, WA
    i have a Santa Fe and I installed with a T then up and out works fine for me.
  11. Fire It Up

Fire It Up New Member

Loc:
    Central Maine
    I have a Castile. I went out the back of the stove to a T, went up 6 feet, then out the wall and capped it. Been like that for 3 years without a problem. You don't need to the outside air kit or the top vent kit unless you want it. It's not necessary.
  12. deep wood

deep wood New Member

Loc:
    AK
    I called the dealer today, she claims she is having trouble finding a top vent kit as her suppliers are sold out, it's nice to know I have other options....thanks!
  13. Fire It Up

Fire It Up New Member

Loc:
    Central Maine
    Here is my stove without the top vent. Hard to see as it wasn't a close up.

Attached Files:

14. deep wood

deep wood New Member

Loc:
    AK
    Fire it Up:

What is your technique for cleaning the exhaust vent? Is it relatively easy with your system?
  15. Fire It Up

Fire It Up New Member

Loc:
    Central Maine
    Twist the cap, shop vac, then put the shop vac house in the base of the pipe and bang it slightly. Everything that falls goes right into the vac. On the outside I just shove the shop vac into the horizontal run and clean it.

I'm a neat freak and don't have any issues with ash going everywhere. Even if it does, the shop vac takes it all up.
  16. deep wood

deep wood New Member

Loc:
    AK
    Thanks....my dealer can't locate a top vent kit, now I'm leaning towards the "t" connection....
  17. jtp10181

jtp10181 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Madison, WI
    They must be blind, it is right in the price book.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.