Castine or Yosemite?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MaineMom

Mar 18, 2011
Maine!
I previously posted here about a VC Encore, and after reading the replies and talking to dealers (my local VC dealer encouraged me not to go with one, which speaks for itself), I am now pretty much narrowed down to either the Jotul Castine or the Quadrafire Yosemite. I have yet to see the Yosemite in person, but have had both the Jotul and QF/VC dealers out to look at our setup. I would love to go with a larger stove but just don't have the space for it.

In reading through he other posts, I see that the Castine and Yosemite are similar in size, but the QF dealer has told me that the Yosemite will heat 2000sf, which I have a hard time imagining from such a small stove. We essentially have about 1800sf (2 story cape with attached, finished but rather poorly insulated 12x12 garage) plus a half finished basement. We supplement the basement and garage playroom with electric and can close both off easily in a pinch, but would like to be able to keep the rest of the house primarily heated with wood and comfortable in the event of a prolonged power outage.

Will the Yosemite do the trick? I would love a Cumberland Gap but it is just too big for our opening, and my apprehension with the Jotul is the maintenance and longevity (our local dealer sells them but doesn't service them).

I've sold the Yosemite and the Castine and have seen them both side by side. Now, this was 5 or 6 years ago but the impression of my employees, boss and customers was that the Castine was a much better built product. Neither would be considered a 2,000 sf heater. Even in NY which is not as cold as Maine, I would sell both those stoves as "a few room heaters" more like 1000-1300 square ft heaters.

MaineMom said:
I previously posted here about a VC Encore, and after reading the replies and talking to dealers (my local VC dealer encouraged me not to go with one, which speaks for itself), I am now pretty much narrowed down to either the Jotul Castine or the Quadrafire Yosemite. I have yet to see the Yosemite in person, but have had both the Jotul and QF/VC dealers out to look at our setup. I would love to go with a larger stove but just don't have the space for it.

In reading through he other posts, I see that the Castine and Yosemite are similar in size, but the QF dealer has told me that the Yosemite will heat 2000sf, which I have a hard time imagining from such a small stove. We essentially have about 1800sf (2 story cape with attached, finished but rather poorly insulated 12x12 garage) plus a half finished basement. We supplement the basement and garage playroom with electric and can close both off easily in a pinch, but would like to be able to keep the rest of the house primarily heated with wood and comfortable in the event of a prolonged power outage.

Will the Yosemite do the trick? I would love a Cumberland Gap but it is just too big for our opening, and my apprehension with the Jotul is the maintenance and longevity (our local dealer sells them but doesn't service them).

If you are looking at 1,800 square feet I would strongly urge you to consider the Oslo vs. the Castine if it would fit into your space and you opt to go with the Jotul line up . . . given our climate. I would also suggest you place this stove on the main story where you will spend the majority of the time.

As for the longevity and maintenance issues of Joutls . . . three years in and no problems other than routine cleaning and lubing the air mechanism which are wicked easy to do. These stoves truly are nearly bulletproof . . . although I wouldn't try shooting a Jotul to put this claim to the test.

The only issue that the Castine has is the smoke when vented to the rear (horizontal flue collar).
The unit likes to be vented straight up. The top of the load door is higher than the leading edge
of the baffle & this seems to be the cause of the drafting/back-puffing issue.
Other than that, the Jotuls are built like tanks & the castings are solid.
They WILL crack, however, if you try to use the ash pan door as an air intake to get the fire started too often,
or leave it open too long, but they've been building stoves since 1853 & nobody else on the planet has that kind of time in...

We have a Castine in a 2400 sq ft Cape style home in very upstate NY. With 30 MPH winds and 0 degree temperatures it will keep the 330 sq ft living room very comfortable (74 or so) and the rest of the first floor in the low to mid 60's. Bedrooms on the second floor are cold, high 50's. We keep our oil furnace set at the low 60s. Don't burn overnight.

I would consider taking down (out) the fireplace and build a stone or brick hearth for a larger stove.

I've got an Oslo at camp, I've never really run it that hard in the dead of winter but that baby will heat an open concept 24 by 40 cathedral ceiling home with a loft no problem when I've been there.

MM, how about posting some more details on how much space you don't have for a larger stove. If it's just the 26.5" lintel, I think there are some larger stoves that might work with shorter legs. My lintel = 26.5" too, and a Woodstock Fireview flue juuust squeaks under it. Front clearance on the Woodstock = 8", so you would not have to extend the hearth much. However, this stove isn't much larger than the Castine. Real world firebox size ~ 1.8 cu ft vs. ~ 1.5 for the Castine. I *think* the Quad Isle Royale's flue will clear your lintel with short legs, but it might be too much stove in a small stove room. . .

We used a Castine for five years 24/7 from mid Oct. thru March and my husband replaced the door gasket and the glass gasket once in that time, no other maintanance required. Initially we were heating a 1,400 sq. ft area with cathedral ceilings and two bedrooms , six inch walls and standard amt. of windows in a cold climate, northern Minnesota,it did a fine job...66 t0 68 degrees. We then added another 200+ sq. ft. with window walls and found it to be too much for the Castine in 20dg.and lower temps which are common. If you have 1800 sq. to heat I would opt for a larger stove ...unless it is supplemental heat only.

Den said:
MM, how about posting some more details on how much space you don't have for a larger stove. If it's just the 26.5" lintel, I think there are some larger stoves that might work with shorter legs. My lintel = 26.5" too, and a Woodstock Fireview flue juuust squeaks under it. Front clearance on the Woodstock = 8", so you would not have to extend the hearth much. However, this stove isn't much larger than the Castine. Real world firebox size ~ 1.8 cu ft vs. ~ 1.5 for the Castine. I *think* the Quad Isle Royale's flue will clear your lintel with short legs, but it might be too much stove in a small stove room. . .

26.5 inches to the top of the opening of our fire place, plus we have to add a hearth extension. The height alone does not prevent us from going with a Jotul but with the couch against the wall, facing the fireplace (and there is no other place to put a couch in the room, it is a cape and the living room takes up 1/2 of the downstairs, long and narrow), there is 8 feet from the front of the couch to the face of the fire place. So, the stove has to be as close to the brick as possible (i.e. not stick out at all) or we will both roast out of the room and have two very badly burned children (the fireplace in the living room is in a major traffic area of our home). The damper on our chimney is located at the front, just beyond the 4" lintel, instead of at the back of the fire box (which, apparently, is more common), so that means that the stove is going to be that much further into the room.

I took yet another trip to our local Jotul dealer today to get some more measurements and pipe ideas. I love the size and heating capacity of the Oslo, but would stick out way too far. Even the Castine would be too obstrusive, given the pipe requirements... That leaves the Yosemite.

We drove out to the QF dealer and checked it out in person (always a good idea, huh?) and I have to say, it is larger than I thought it would be. It sits quite a bit lower to the ground than the other stoves we have seen (QF does not have short leg kits for their stoves). I was, in fact, so pleased with it in person that I bought it right then and there! The dealer is fantastic, best vibes I've had from any of the 4 dealers we've been to. My only real question at this point is will it really heat my whole house? But, nobody can really tell me that for sure, expert or not. We will just have to see how it goes and, in all honesty, the furnace heats our hot water so we will have to run that daily anyway. Hopefully this little stove will at least pay for itself in oil reduction within the next 3-5 years and, if the power goes out, keep us above freezing and a little more comfortable.

I will let you all know how it turns out, thank you for your help!

Have you considered the fireplace insert option instead of a hearth stove?

BeGreen said:
Have you considered the fireplace insert option instead of a hearth stove?

Nope, we wanted something that we could cook on if need be, the only option for that in an insert only gave us 10" of cooking surface and not as much heat capacity as a stove.

If that would be the Lopi Revere, I would look closer at it. It will match heating capacity of the stove and would provide longer burn times.

MM,

My suggestion is the same as you've heard here- get the larger firebox. I understand the desire to cook if need be- that is a really cool feature stoves have verses inserts. But 99.9% of the time you're going to be using this appliance as a heater. And as far as heaters go- the larger firebox generally means the longer the burn times and the greater the heat output.

I have a similar set up as you. Heating a drafty 1700 sf with wood heat. My first insert was too small. I replaced it within the first year. I'm now heating with a 3.2 cf firebox and it is much much better.

Also reasons you may want to consider an insert.
I like the insert because it only comes out 9 inches from the fireplace and the hearth gate I installed keeps it gated in and my 3 year old safe.
The insert is in the room we spend the most time in- if it was a stand alone I think that room would be too hot. The insert puts the heat out a little differently and makes the room very comfortable with out heating us out of the room. Whatever decision you make I hope it works out great for you. Hope that helps. Good luck!

BeGreen said:
If that would be the Lopi Revere, I would look closer at it. It will match heating capacity of the stove and would provide longer burn times.

I actually kinda liked the more utilitarian looking Republic 1750i, the equivalent to the Lopi Revere (both built by Lopi). The 1750i seemed more "clean" and without the extra trim I didn't detect "rattle" when I rapped my knuckles against it. Both have a 10" surface protruding out the front which supposedly make a good cooking surface and also radiate more heat than a an insert that is completely flush to the face of the fireplace. If I had gone with an insert it would have been the 1750i. Looking back at things it would have been much simpler to install, too.

Just some thoughts...
Ed

ETA: Forget the Yosemite.

Status
Not open for further replies.