Cat users: describe your burn/temp cycles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pagey

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 2, 2008
Middle TN
All the cat vs. non-cat chatter over the past few months got me wondering: how do your temp cycles flow during a burn cycle. Here's what my Endeavor 2.2 cubic foot fire box does on a full load: with the load charred and the primary air adjusted, I get about a 30 minute peak at 650 or 700F. Then it drops to around 600F for 1.5 to 2 hours. Then it will cruise at 500F for another hour or so. Then it seems to hang at 400F for 3 hours or so. Of the total 8 hour cycle, I would say that during really cold temps, I get only 3 hours of what I call "usable" heat due to my insulation/windows/layout/etc.

Does a cat stove hold the "usable" heat (say, 550F +) for more than 3 hours?

Please take a moment to describe your burn cycles on a full load in cold temps. Thanks!

Shameless self bump, but only because I am truly curious if your peaks last longer.

Sorry, Pagey, I haven't the experience to weigh in on this one. I will say that when I get the Leyden downdraft to work, your scenario sounds pretty close to what I see.

I think for an 8 hour burn my stove runs pretty similar to your temps. It will stay over 500 for 3-4 hours and slowly drop down to 250-300 at the end of 8 hours. When it's cold I do 3 loads per day and burn a little hotter, when it's warmer I let the cat do it's thing and can stretch it out to 2 loads per day.

On a full load we can run 600+ for around 3 hours (peak near 700) and then gradually down from there. Probably 500+ for at least 5 hours.

But please take all these temperatures that everyone gives with a grain of salt. Just because one can get 500 or 600 for x amount of time does not mean you will always get that. It all goes back to the fuel. If I load up (not a full load for sure as it would be too much) the stove with soft maple I certainly will get the heat but for a much shorter period of time.

One of my favorites is to load with mostly soft maple and maybe one ash, with the stove loaded maybe 2/3 full. That will give us 500 degree heat for many hours. Don't put the ash in and then maybe 450-500 for a shorter period. Then there are those 35 degree days when just a couple soft maple or elm will give us 400-450 degrees.

Thanks so much for the insight, guys. I know there are a ton of variables to take into account, but I'm more than happy with gross generalizations in this thread!

When its cold, I run 12 hour cycles on 50-100 lbs of wood depending on how much heat I want. It runs hot for 8 hours with the thermostat and then I run it with the air wide open for the last 4 hours before reloading. The cat thermometer never goes below half way whatever that means. If we were getting any solar gain with these highs in the 30s, I would go to a 24 hour cycle.

Backwoods Savage said:
On a full load we can run 600+ for around 3 hours (peak near 700) and then gradually down from there. Probably 500+ for at least 5 hours.

That makes me very excited for next winter.

I would love to be able to get more time in the 600F to 500F range. It must be my layout/insulation/windows/something, because even though I can hold 400F for a long time, it just will NOT heat this house in really cold temps.

Pagey said:
I would love to be able to get more time in the 600F to 500F range. It must be my layout/insulation/windows/something, because even though I can hold 400F for a long time, it just will NOT heat this house in really cold temps.

Firewood?

Todd said:
Pagey said:

Firewood?

I'm burning well seasoned red oak, white oak, and tight bark hickory. I have no problems with starting or maintaining a fire. I have no problems with secondaries. I have a clean flue. So I honestly don't think I can lay it on the wood. I think it's mostly insulation and windows. My attic has very thin rolled insulation.

I load mine up and let it burn for 5-6 hours at whatever I set the tstat. The BK doesnt have numbers on the thermometer so not sure what the temp is b ut thats a higher setting putting out good heat. The tstat really keeps it consistent, after 5-6 hours I rake up the wood thats left and turn the tstat up for another 2 hours. I easily get overnight bhurns with a lower setting but I dont turn it way down, I leave it at what I would call med-low and it gives out decent heat for 7-8 hours with a good load. I do 3 loads a day in cold weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.