catalyst replacement... condar vs firecat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i think my HV is basically a copy of buck. I can see the cats in the bypass damper hole too and around the probe hole, but you have to bee at the right angle to do so.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I think cats and stoves designed with them have been getting much better over the years. Look at Blaze King, they have a 10 warranty on their cats. If they ever get the steel cats figured out it will eliminate flame impingement and thermal shock.

Reactions: Ashful
I relooked at my picture a bit ago. That is the cat housing in the pic that is standing vertically. The holes are where the cats sit and that is the top side were looking at, IE the side that faces the chimney side. There is a "C" channel welded to the bottom or other side of it that sheilds the fire side of the cats from the flame. Its open on the ends and the smoke enters the ends then travels toward the center of the channel to go up through the cats.

That is the cat housing in the pic that is standing vertically. The holes are where the cats sit and that is the top side were looking at, IE the side that faces the chimney side. There is a "C" channel welded to the bottom or other side of it that sheilds the fire side of the cats from the flame. Its open on the ends and the smoke enters the ends then travels toward the center of the channel to go up through the cats.
Sounds like the cats are pretty well-protected, then. With a roaring fire when the bypass is close, though, flame may be able to reach them....

so which is better condar or applied ceramics for Buck 91 cat?

A little industry birdie just whispered in my ear that Applied Ceramics makes the substrates for Condar.

another industry birdie just whispered Applied Ceramics makes more than just ceramics. substrates provided to Condar is already coated with precious metals. Condar cuts down substrates and packages with metal bands to desired sizes.

so performance for Applied Ceramics and Condar ceramic combustors would be very close .. some say identical.

Status
Not open for further replies.